2018-19 Action Project
Description & Documentation
ACTION PROJECT CREATION:
Fellows are required to develop an Action Project during the course of the ACTIVATE Program. This Action Project should be created and/or launched some time between January – May 2019 and should address a specific goal for your community. Fellows are encouraged to design projects that have S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, & Timely) goals with consideration for continued action after the ACTIVATE Program concludes. Arts for LA recognizes that advocacy projects can change and evolve, and will guide Fellows in identifying project goals and designing implementation plans. Fellows are expected to develop their Action Project goal(s) and implementation plan(s) by January 2019.
ACTION PROJECT GUIDELINES:
ACTIVATE Fellows will create and/or launch an action project from January – May 2019. Projects can be done individually, in pairs, or in small groups with other Fellows.
- Projects should aim to achieve a “S.M.A.R.T.” (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, & Timely) goals with consideration for continued action after the ACTIVATE Program concludes.
- Fellows should seek to enlist the support of a “coalition” or group of key stakeholders in their community who will help to accomplish the goal as led by the ACTIVATE Fellow(s).
- Fellows should seek to align their projects with existing city or school district policies/ goals/ initiatives as identified in district Local Control and Accountability Plans (Arts Education) or city policies/ cultural plans (Cultural Policy).
- Projects must be documented throughout the process (see PROJECT DOCUMENTATION below). Draft documentation should be prepared for presentation at the April 2018 ACTIVATE Session and final documentation materials must be submitted to Arts for LA via the form below by NO LATER THAN JUNE 2, 2019.
It is important to note that projects can evolve and should be designed with consideration for continued advocacy action AFTER the conclusion of the 2018-19 ACTIVATE Program.
ACTION PROJECT DOCUMENTATION:
Fellows are expected to document their process and progress towards their Action Project goal(s), keeping in mind how their work supports broader education community or city/ municipal goals. Project documentation should also outline how other advocates might replicate or adapt the project design in their own communities. Fellows are also encouraged to submit additional documentation of their advocacy work, which can include: photos, videos, event programs/ flyers, written reports, blog posts, etc. Documentation should tell the story from idea inception to project execution, including initial outcomes and next steps.
Fellows may document their Action Project through one or more of the following:
- Written summary or narrative (1000 words or less)
- Short Video (3 - 5 minutes)
- Slide deck, white paper, infographics, etc.
- Online multi-media webpage or dedicated project website or social media channel (ex: blog, YouTube channel, Facebook page, Twitter feed, Instagram account, etc.)
- Other creative narrative (visual art piece, photo essay, etc.)
Fellows are encouraged to share their project progress and advocacy efforts through social media networks. You can tag Arts for LA using @Arts4LA (Instagram and Twitter) and use the hashtags:
ACTION PROJECT DESCRIPTION & DOCUMENTATION SUBMISSION FORM
All Fellows are required to submit a brief description of their Action Projects and materials documenting their Action Project progress and process via the form below. Failure to complete this form will result in exclusion from the 2018-19 ACTIVATE Fellow Directory.
ACTION PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Fellows are required to submit a description of their Action Project goals and progress (to date) for inclusion in the 2018-19 ACTIVATE Fellow Directory.
Your Action Project Description should be written in the THIRD PERSON, adhere to the following format, and should not exceed 250 WORDS:
- FIRST SENTENCE: Your name, the school district/ charter network or municipality you are representing as a Fellow, and your connection to the district/ area.
- SECOND SENTENCE: Describe what you set out to accomplish with your Action Project.
- THIRD SENTENCE: Describe what you have accomplished so far (the "First Domino" you have knocked over).
- FOURTH SENTENCE: Describe the ultimate (long term/ final) goal of your advocacy work and any immediate next steps.
More examples of appropriate Action Project descriptions can be found on the ACTIVATE Fellow Directory.
2018-19 ACTION PROJECT DESCRIPTION &
DOCUMENTATION SUBMISSION FORM
The following form should be completed by no later than June 2, 2019 (11:59pm PST).