East West Players
Los Angeles, CA
Job Description: General Manager
Direct Report: Producing Artistic Director
Classification: Full-Time/Salaried/Exempt/Benefits Eligible
Position Summary: The General Manager, in partnership with the Producing Artistic Director, is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the organization and supervises all administrative staff. He/She works with the Producing Artistic Director to fulfill the mission of East West Players. The General Manager’s responsibilities include daily business operations and staff management, finances, human resources, fundraising and working with the Board of Directors, IT management, oversees rental program, strategic planning, vendor management, and management of the overall season calendar.
Traits and Characteristics: East West Players seeks a committed, proactive, and strong diplomatic thinker to help shape the organization’s future. This individual will possess a passion for equity, diversity, and inclusion particularly for the Asian Pacific Islander community and and for bringing people together across community lines. In addition to articulating and demonstrating a commitment to the mission, vision, and values of East West Players, he/she will also demonstrate a commitment to and share in East West Players’ aesthetic, which is diverse, enlightening, educational, innovative, and community-specific professional theater. Interpersonal skills must be exceptional. He/She must independently initiate and pursue objectives in an organized and efficient manner, prioritize activities, and maximize team interaction to complete high quality work on time.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Management and Finance:
- Create all organization (and fundraising) budgets with Producing Artistic Director, Board Chair and Development
- Analyze and create weekly finance reports that are disseminated to the Producing Artistic Director, Board Chair and Board Treasurer, including cash flow management
- Oversee all daily financial obligations and transactional activities, including various payrolls
- Work with the Producing Artistic Director to season plan
- Run the annual audited financial statement processes
- Negotiate and execute all contracts (artistic, leases, unions, vendors, insurances, etc)
- Serve as business operations vendor point of contact
- Work closely with the Production to oversee theater facility operations and rental operations
- Work closely with Marketing Department on production related material content and sales strategies
- Work closely with front of house to oversee Box office and Front of House Activities
- Oversee IT upgrades and repairs, as needed
- Lead the organization towards 100% PCI compliance
- Engage in community events and represent the organization at public affairs
- Work with Producing Artistic Director and Legal to create and implement company HR policies and others for the organization
- Responsible for benefit tracking and implementation
- Responsible for annual review processes and various required trainings throughout the year
- Responsible for onboarding all new employees
- Stay informed about new legislation that impacts the organization
- Help to strategize the fundraising plan and actively fundraise with Development team, Producing Artistic Director and Board of Director
- Serve as lead for the annual spring Gala and smaller fundraising events throughout the year
- Assist with grant applications, as needed
- Work closely with the Board of Directors on short-term and long-term projects and needs
- Build relationships with Corporate, Individual and Foundation prospects and current stakeholders
Experience and Qualifications: Minimum 5-7 years of non-profit financial and administrative experience, ideally in theatre or the performing arts. A MBA or MFA in Theatre Management is preferred. Passion for demonstrable results in arts, arts education, or cultural impact organizations preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a participatory leadership style in working collaboratively with artistic personnel, staff and volunteers. Must be able to multitask efficiently, work under high-stress situations, and meet deadlines in fast-paced environment.
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision and life insurance; vacation; sick leave; personal and holidays.
To Apply: This new position is available to start immediately and no later than July 15, 2019. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements via email by June 14, 2019 to [email protected]. Please include “GENERAL MANAGER POSITION” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: EWP provides all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.