Los Angeles, CA
Title: Academic Advisor
Department: Academic Affairs
Reports to: Vice Director/Chief Academic Officer & Chief Administrative Officer
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
The Academic Advisor is responsible for the design, development, and delivery of academic counseling services and related programs for SCI-Arc’s 500 students. The Academic Advisor is responsible for the integrity of the institutions degree per WASC and NAAB requirements, advises students upon entry to the institution, works with the current student and faculty population regarding academic policy and student academic standing, and supports the student body in learning and progress towards successful graduation. This position works closely with the Academic Program Chairs, Academic program Coordinators, Registrar, Admissions office, and Finance office. This is a high-profile position; developing and maintaining positive relationships with students, faculty, and staff..
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop individualized academic plan with students and counsel students regarding degree requirements, registration, curriculum changes, transfer credits, prerequisites, and personal or academic matters affecting academic progress and student success.
- Develop early alert systems for students in academic difficulty; work with students on academic warning; recommend approval or non-approval on matters affecting student status, graduation, withdrawal, reinstatement, readmission, awards, and course selection
- Oversee enrollment management effort, semester course count, student registration, and population forecast
- Communicate regularly with the Vice Director/Director of Academic Affairs, Program Chairs on student matters including academic success, academic conduct, student conduct, registration management and enrollment management
- Develop relationships, work closely and have a physical presence within first year students and faculty teaching foundation courses
- Provide information and services for students with special needs adhering to ADA and 504 regulations
- Coordinate the annual SCI-Arc scholarship application process
- Develop and maintain relationships with other school counselors in order to promote admission to the institution; in conjunction with Program Chairs, coordinates Articulation Agreements with community colleges
- Facilitate and maintain relationship with exchange schools, and coordinate enrollment of students for exchange program
- Act as Architecture Licensing Advisor (NCARB) and attend annual Licensing Advisors Summit meetings
- Coordinate NCARB representative visit and facilitate info presentation for qualifying students with NCARB representatives
- Maintain relationships with key departments (Director’s Office, Recruitment/Admissions, Finance, Financial Aid) to nurture an overall positive experience for students and future alumni
- Attend and participate in student development events such as open house, fall orientation, summer programs, student reviews, student/alumni receptions and graduation ceremonies
- Collaborate in development and preparation of appropriate college guidance and other print materials
- Maintain membership in NACADA (National Association of Academic Advisors) and ASCA (Association of Student Conduct Administration) and attend regional and national conferences
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling, Master’s Degree preferred
- 5 years’ experience working with counseling programs and admissions at the college level
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of students, parents, faculty and staff
- Student personnel services required
- Extensive insight, knowledge and thorough understanding of the college application process and timelines associated with selective college admissions
- Demonstrate a positive track record of student retention, graduation rates, and developing an early alert system
- Experience in implementing academic advising models and best practice methods
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Effective analytical skills to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate information.
- Ability to assist students in developing effective academic plans and career and life goals in order to promote student retention and academic success.
- Ability to utilize technology in the academic advising process.
- Strong results-oriented organizational skills and a passion for detail
- Strong teamwork skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Proficiency with computer applications such as Microsoft Office, word, excel, and other database management systems such as Jenzabar
To apply, please visit our online application system https://my.sciarc.edu/ICS/Employment_Info/
We offer a great benefits package with medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and paid time off.
SCI-Arc is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.