Otis College of Art and Design
Los Angeles, CA
Otis College of Art and Design
The Admissions Counselor counsels prospective students regarding admission policies and procedures. Reviews and evaluates applicants to determine qualification for admission to Otis. The position involves extensive travel within the United States as well as working evenings and weekends. This position reports directly to the Assistant Director of Admissions Recruitment.
• Attends outreach programs and other recruitment efforts (i.e., classroom visits in high schools and/or community colleges, group visits to campus, college fairs, and other special events.) Represents Otis College locally and nationwide. Gives presentations on Otis College’s programs to prospective students and parents in various settings.
• Manages an assigned territory to develop qualified applicants for admission and enrollment at Otis College. Counsels applicants on admission policies and procedures. Communicates with prospective students via in-person interviews, by telephone, during portfolio reviews, on campus tours, and via written communication (i.e., responding to emails regarding application status, writing inquiries to prospective students.)
• Serves as first point of contact for counselors and teachers requesting visits from Otis College admissions representatives. Works with Assistant Director to oversee the master recruitment events calendar. Provides timely responses to event invitations and manages event registrations. Processes payment for event registrations and keeps colleagues informed of any important event details. Must be extremely organized and demonstrate attention to detail.
• Reviews student artwork and credentials at portfolio day events. Offers solutions to applicant problems and answers questions regarding admissions policies and/or procedures.
• Reviews applications for admission interpreting both domestic and international academic records. Evaluates portfolio submissions and other application items. Responsible for holistically evaluating applications using Otis College’s rubric.
• Evaluates transfer applications and awards transfer credit based on academic credentials and the portfolio. Creates academic plans for prospective transfer students. Works with Academic Advising and Department Chairs for transfer approval.
• Responsible for planning robust recruitment trips including booking school visits and events, coordinating travel arrangements and processing follow-up documentation/expense reports. Completes event evaluations and all trip follow-up correspondence.
• Represents Otis College at on campus recruitment events. Performs tours of the campus at events and other instances as needed. Assists with event preparation and set-up as needed.
• Establishes and maintains a network of relationships with secondary school counselors, art teachers, high school and community college counselors.
• Serves as an information resource for the Otis community and the local community. Identifies opportunities to increase program visibility on campus and through community partnerships.
• Participates in and contributes to meetings, training programs, and the department’s overall operational goals.
• Maintains currency on College policies affecting admissions, recruitment, financial aid, transfer credit evaluation, and other areas related to enrollment.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education is required. A minimum of 2 years of experience working in recruitment and admissions, higher education, or for arts organizations is required. Individual must have excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience. Technology proficiency including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and databases/CRMs. Individual must be able to work collaboratively in a team-based environment. Self-motivation, self-discipline, and the ability to work with a minimum of supervision are essential. Must be willing and able to travel and work evenings and weekends.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply via Otis’ website at https://otis.simplehire.com/postings/1504 to be considered for the position.
Do you like this post?