Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc)
Los Angeles, CA
Title: Archivist Consultant
Institution: Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc)
Application Deadline: March 15th, 2019
The Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) is a dynamic, urban, non-profit institution dedicated to educating architects to engage, speculate, innovate, and to take the lead in reimagining the limits of architecture. Located in downtown Los Angeles, SCI-Arc is a center of innovation and one of the nation’s few independent architecture schools.
SCI-Arc currently seeks an Archivist Consultant to work with staff and faculty during Spring-Summer 2019 to draft a plan for an institutional archive. This is a project based assignment that must be completed before June 1.
This project provides an opportunity to work with material of international interest documenting personalities and ideas behind the transformation of architecture in the last half-century, groundbreaking experiments in graphic design, radical innovations in architecture pedagogy that have since been widely emulated, and the transformation of Los Angeles into a globally influential laboratory for cutting edge design.
The Institutional Archive plan must:
- Articulate principles and goals of a comprehensive and sustainable archive project
- Integrate with other SCI-Arc resources
- Assess the condition, arrangement and storage of current collections
- Propose criteria and strategy for digital access
- Address both digital and physical preservation and storage issues
- Anticipate the needs of potential audiences, from scholars to alumni
- Define a work plan in multiple stages that reflects available funding, facilities, labor and expertise
- Propose strategies for future growth
- Provide data and arguments for implementation funding
- Master’s degree in library or information science required from an ALA-accredited program with advanced coursework in archival management or a Masters of Archival Studies
- ACA certification required
- Must have experience leading the assessment of collections and planning the preservation, organization and access of a variety of print and digital formats
- Experience working with academic institutional records (FERPA requirements)
- Familiarity with Southern California graphic design and architecture of the last 50 years
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]