Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (METRO)
Los Angeles, CA
Metro’s Art & Design programs seek highly motivated and qualified individuals interested in public sector internships for graduate students pursuing a career in public art and design. Metro’s Art and Design programs involves artists and designers in a variety of permanent and temporary projects throughout the Metro system with the objective of making mass transit more welcoming to commuters and communities. For more information about Metro Art and the Metro system visit www.metro.net/art.
The Metro Internship Program (MIP) offers undergraduates, graduates, postgraduates, United States military veterans who were recently, honorably discharged and their spouses, and current members of a United States military reserve (Veterans), an opportunity to gain practical work experience through a paid internship, related to their academic field of study. MIP provides an opportunity for students to learn about the transportation industry while applying classroom theories and concepts to "real-world" work situations at the nation's third largest public transportation agency. The type(s) of internship opportunities offered to college interns may include but are not limited to: administration, architectural design, CAD, engineering, government relations, graphic design, human resources, marketing research, media relations, training and urban planning. MIP intern assignments are reviewed every six months by the hiring department and an intern has an opportunity to work up to a maximum of two years in his/her assignment.
Examples of Duties
- Assist in development and implementation of program guidelines, strategies and policies
- Assist in collections management and conservation maintenance of artworks in the Metro system
- Research and survey national policy issues; produce summary assessments
- Assist with customer and artist inquiries and distribute Metro Art promotional materials
- Support Metro Art managers on artist selection panels
- Support Metro Art managers on community outreach efforts
- Research art/architecture materials and fabrication/construction processes
- Maintain and further develop database for different Metro Art programs
- Assist in general departmental support activities
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Business and design computer software applications
- Contemporary art
- Art conservation
- Arts marketing
- Prepare reports and correspondence
- Research and compile data for reports and inquiries
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Operate computers and general office equipment
- Analyze situations and identify problems
- Understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Interact professionally with various levels of Metro employees and outside representatives
- Read, write, speak, and understand English
- Photography, photo editing and social media skills are a plus
Requirements for Employment
To qualify for the Metro Internship Program, applicants must meet the following criteria: College Students:
- Officially be enrolled in an accredited institution of higher learning with a minimum of 6 units for a graduate program.
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 for those enrolled in a graduate program of study.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a legal resident and eligible to work in this country as determined by the U.S. Immigration Laws and the Department of Homeland Security.
Veterans and their spouses:
- Each potential Veteran intern must submit an Honorable Discharge certificate, or paperwork indicating his/her status as a current member of a United States military reserve.
- Each potential Veteran intern must enroll in college within three months of hire, and meet all other Administrative Intern criteria to maintain eligibility for employment.
Interested graduate students should e-mail a resume with letter of interest to Susan Gray at email@example.com. Materials will be accepted until position(s) are filled.
An internship at Metro is a paid work assignment. The program does not guarantee full time employment with the agency. Metro does not provide benefits such as vacation, holiday or overtime pay for interns. All interns must adhere to Metro's dress code and observe all safety rules and regulations. All prospective interns are subject to Metro's pre-employment screenings and subject to a criminal background check.