Los Angeles, CA
WE RISE 2019
Position Needed: Art Gallery Student Tour Guides
Building on the success of last year’s event, WE RISE will return this May to offer an immersive cultural experience that utilizes visual art, live performance, and hands-on workshops to inspire conversation around mental health and raise awareness about community resources.
WE RISE is designed to activate and inspire through performances, visual art, conversations and hands-on workshops about mental health. In an effort to create an overall narrative about mental health that centers the perspectives of community members and also inspires service providers to imagine how art can be a tool to strengthen their current work.
High school students from all across LA County will be attending WE RISE Monday - Friday, May 20-24, from 9am to 5pm. We are looking for guides to lead tours of the gallery and engage students in age-appropriate discussions around art and mental health. There will be a discussion guide designed by a team of experts, and the Tour Guides will be trained in facilitating these discussions.
- Arrive onsite (in the Arts District of Downtown LA) by 8:30am, Monday-Friday, May 20-24.
- Lead gallery tours in increments of 30 minutes throughout the day (timeframes for tours: 9am - 11am, 11am - 1pm, 3pm - 5pm).
- Work with groups of 10 students at a time, guiding them through the gallery, discussing key pieces of art, and engaging students in deeper thinking around the issues explored in the work.
- Youth engagement, arts education, youth development work is a must - we need Tour Guides who are very energetic and know how to engage young people. Prior experience could range from leading summer camp workshops to teaching art in schools.
- Understanding of the arts and artistic processes.
- Understanding of mental health issues and the ability to have conversations around sensitive issues.
- Undergraduate degree in art and art-related fields, art history, or museum studies is a plus.
Rate/Dates: $250/day Monday - Friday (8:30am - 5:30pm, lunch provided), May 20-24, 2019
If interested, please email resume to [email protected] by May 6th, 2019.
Please indicate “Student Tour Guide” in the subject line.
WE RISE believes in the power of artists to help distill complex ideas, create emotional experiences and inspire opportunities for healing. Every day you’re working to support the community to feel a connection, build purpose-driven lives and discover inner strength. The art created via your programs reflects hopes, dreams and lived experiences that are essential to the success of the event!