San Francisco, CA
Gagosian is currently seeking a full-time Art Handler/Registrar.
Qualified candidates should be detail-orientated and highly organized along with the ability to multi-task, handle a high level of volume and complexity, with attention to time-sensitivity. Must be a talented communicator, who thrives in a fast paced environment.
Basic duties include but are not limited to
– Packing, installation, de-installation, condition reports, wall repair, and lighting of works within the gallery.
– Care and maintenance of artworks. Uphold safe storage solutions for inventory within gallery.
– Assist with packing, installation, and de-installation within the gallery’s exhibition spaces and viewing rooms.
– Maintain inventory of tools and packing materials. Coordinate and purchase supplies from outside vendors, while tracking expenses and costs.
– Ensure packing, handling and installation standards and protocols are met, as set by Artist or Lender.
– Release and receipt paperwork oversight, database management, artwork labeling, and document retention.
– Facilities maintenance (i.e. ensuring best practices with heavy machinery, security system oversight, HVAC, lighting tracks, problem solving in the event of inclement weather).
– Coordinate local, domestic and international shipments of artwork and deliveries and manage relevant communications in a clear and seamless fashion, including customs documentation.
– Assist with daily movement of incoming/outgoing artworks within the gallery, loading and offloading artworks from trucks.
– General knowledge of consignment and loan agreements, including transport to museums, galleries, clients and artists
– Manage insurance & condition reports.
– Organize and file incoming and outgoing forms, generate in-house condition reports and perform artwork inspections.
– Liaise with staff, art handling companies, artist studios, fine art shippers, framers, and conservators.
– Communicate to staff regarding conservation, installation and security questions as necessary.
– Bachelor’s Degree, with a minimum of 2 years of related experience working within the arts community; gallery or museum background preferred.
– Ability and willingness to work well within a team, as well as independently; enthusiasm and flexibility appreciated.
– Extensive experience safely handling and packing artworks with vast knowledge of installing artworks.
– Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
– Strong administrative, professional, organizational, and communication skills
– Registrar experience with domestic shipping procedures
– Strong knowledge of and interest in contemporary art
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Mon-Fri schedule: Must have a flexible schedule as the person in this position may be required to stay for openings, viewings, or other requests.
Position Type Full-Time/ Non-Exempt/Salaried position.
Compensation Salary commensurate with experience, comprehensive benefits package including three weeks’ paid vacation.
Application Instructions Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Art Handler/Registrar” in the subject line. Walk-ins or phone inquiries will not be accepted for this position.
Gagosian is committed to maintaining a diverse working environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.