Los Angeles, CA
Geffen Playhouse seeks four artists to create an original art work to be displayed in our lobby welcoming back audiences this fall to celebrate our 25th Anniversary season. We celebrate the diversity in our audiences and our productions, and it is our mission to create, foster and nourish an environment that is open and welcoming for all. We are a home for the arts, and we believe our physical space should also reflect and be representative of our ongoing commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion in everything we do and the communities we support.
We’re inviting local artists to create works that bring our community together, inspired by theater experiences and reflective of our shared values. We are calling it “Art Lives Here.” As with our plays, we seek works of art that speak boldly, have meaningful purpose and feed the soul. A total of four artists will be chosen by a selection committee from all submissions received. Each art piece will be displayed for approximately two months each in our theater lobby and featured in Playbill programs during the course of the 2021/2022 25th Anniversary season. We aim to make an open, equitable and inclusive environment that amplifies our commitment to diversity in all areas of theater engagement. Join us in this celebration.
*SCOPE OF WORK*
The inspiration. Please consider the following questions in your proposal:
How has theater impacted you? What supports a welcoming theater environment? In what way does theater connect us globally? We encourage innovative, thought-provoking projects that are highly reflective of our diverse community.
· All visual art mediums will be considered.
· Canvas works must fit within 60” x 60” area.
· Sculptural/3-D works must fit within 60” x 60” x 60” area.
· Films up to 5 minutes in length; visuals only/no audio.
· Artists must live in Los Angeles County.
· Artists must be 16 years or older.
· Professionals or amateurs welcome.
As part of this project, we will invite artists to participate in the documentation of their work. To accompany the final piece, Geffen Playhouse will create content about each artist and their work, as well as a short video to be posted on Geffen Playhouse’s website/social media and printed in Playbill programs. Artists will be asked to:
- Document their progress throughout the creation of the works with phone/video cameras, or invite Geffen Playhouse’s videographer to capture a key moment in the creation of their work.
- Participate in a video interview at Geffen Playhouse to talk about their work.
- Be photographed by Geffen Playhouse.
Artists will be involved in the creation of additional content and will have input and approval of all photography, video and written material. To ensure the privacy of minors, use of images or video will not displayed without written approval from a parent or legal guardian.
Each artist will receive an honorarium of $5,000 which is all-inclusive of material and design. Upon approval, artists will be paid 50% up front, and the remaining honorarium will be paid upon completion and delivery of their final work. Project timelines will be agreed upon between each artist and Geffen Playhouse. Artists (and a guest) will be invited to opening night of the mainstage production at which their work will be featured.
*SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS*
All proposals must be submitted at www.geffenplayhouse.org/about/artliveshere and include the following:
1) Description of the proposed work, and the inspiration behind it. Max 500 words.
2) Medium for the work.
3) Budget breakdown.
4) A preliminary sketch (optional).
5) Estimated timeline.
6) A brief artist bio. Max 500 words.
7) Examples of two previous works. Photos up to 5MB, or video links (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
*EVALUATION PROCESS & CRITERIA*
Geffen Playhouse will establish a selection committee comprised of staff, artists, and community members. The selection committee will evaluate each work of art based on:
· Artistic merit
· Meets space requirements
· Connection to theater
September 7, 2021 – Submission Deadline
September 10-17, 2021 – Selection Committee Review
September 20, 2021 – Winners Notified
October 8, 2021 – First Installation Date (subject to change)