Los Angeles, CA
Position: Artistic Line Producer
Job Classification: Independent Contractor
Executive Summary: EAST WEST PLAYERS and the JAPANESE AMERICAN CULTURAL & COMMUNITY CENTER seeks an ARTISTIC LINE PRODUCER for the upcoming production of ALLEGIANCE starring George Takei.
Direct Report: ALLEGIANCE Executive Producer
Summary: ALLEGIANCE LA is a collaborative production spearheaded by two of the nation’s most prominent Asian American/Pacific Islander Arts organizations: the Japanese American Community & Cultural Center (The largest AAPI Venue in the Nation) and East West Players (the largest professional producer of AAPI theatrical work in the nation). Both organizations, based in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, are very rooted in the history, legacy, and community that is represented by ALLEGIANCE: AN AMERICAN MUSICAL and its sweeping story. In order to bring the first post-Broadway run of this groundbreaking production to LA Audiences - in the spirit of cooperation both in our community and of the theatrical process - we are looking for a candidate who is creative, willing to learn, and willing to go the extra mile to support the creative process, in addition to producing a supportive, professional environment where world-class artists and craftsmen can do what they do best! We like problem-solvers, improvisers and communicators who are invested in community and excited by the prospect of creating great theatre!
COMPANY MANAGER duties include but are not limited to:
- Manages creative teams and actors.
- Coordinates all guest Artist travel and accommodations as needed.
- Oversee all AEA, SDC and Union regulations with General Manager.
- Coordinates payroll needs for company including Cast, Crew, Musicians, Designers and creative personnel.
- Oversees transition between rehearsals and the Aratani Theatre Production Manager schedule.
- Processes tickets for the company.
- Coordinates artist hospitality needs.
PRODUCING duties include but are not limited to:
- Manages production budget under supervision of Executive Producer and Production Manager.
- Tracks expenses and income figures for both organizations in association with Finance.
- Creates agenda and timelines for production as needed under supervision of Production Manager.
- Presents for all production and other meetings as needed, including technical rehearsals, preview and opening night.
- Facilitates communication fostering a collaborative, supportive process for the Creative Team (Designers, Director, Choreography, Music Departments, and Technical Leads) under supervision of the Executive Producer and Production Manager.
- Researches new vendors and contractors, acts as liaison with vendors as-needed, and conducts bids for production business under supervision of Production Manager.
- A minimum of six (6) years working in small to midsize theatre; or 2-3 years in midsize to LORT environment is a plus.
- Background in Theatrical Production or Event Planning. Other Project Management backgrounds also considered.
- Familiarity with one or more technical disciplines (Theatrical Lighting, Audio, Carpentry, Structural Engineering, Projection, Costumes and/or Stage Management)
- General knowledge of Theatrical Union contracts and practices (AEA, SDC, USA, IATSE).
- Ability to Lift 50 lbs & has a valid Driver's License.
- Familiar with MS Office Suite, Excel, Word, Google Drive, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret technical Drawings (AutoCAD or Vectorworks Experience a plus).
- Strong communication & problem-solving skills.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume, three references and portfolio (if you have one) to [email protected]. In the subject line of your email, write “ALLEGIANCE ARTISTIC LINE PRODUCER”. Please no emails or phone calls. Applications are due by October 4, 2017.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the Japanese American Cultural & Community Center & East West Players to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.