Los Angeles Music and Art School
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles Music and Art School INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
The Los Angeles Music and Art School (LAMusArt) was founded in 1945 to provide youth in the community of Boyle Heights and East Los Angeles with safe and engaging arts programs during unsupervised after-school hours. Since its inception, its mission has been to provide equitable access to year-round, multidisciplinary, and after-school artistic programs for under-resourced students living in the community of East Los Angeles.
INTERNSHIP POSITION SUMMARY
LAMusArt is one of the most active arts education centers in Los Angeles County. Our comprehensive vision builds on a 75 year history of success: providing more access to students, youth, and community members in music, art, dance and drama.
The Arts Education Programs Intern will gain experience in many aspects of arts education programming. The intern will focus on learning about and taking an active role in event planning, day-of event coordination, recruitment, developing marketing strategies, research, and learning database management, and participating in key meetings and programs.
The successful applicant will have a passion for the arts, interest in helping under-resourced communities, and be both a collaborator and self-directed.
Arts Education Programs Intern
Location: 3630 E 3rd St. Los Angeles, CA 90063
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Mon-Thurs 10:00am-2:00pm; 16 hours per week. Few nights and weekends, although flexible
Commitment: 12 weeks between September and December 2019.
DUTIES & LEARNING OBJECTIVES
• Provide support for LAMusArt’s arts instruction activities, including fund development, programs, special events, community relations, social media, and marketing.
- Assist with and perform customer service functions, providing information regarding LAMusArt programs, enrolling and withdrawing students, accepting and processing tuition payments, answering and screening telephone calls, adjusting instructor schedules and master database, and assisting instructors, students, and parents as required.
- Perform bookkeeping functions, including preparation of bank deposits, and processing of credit card payments.
- Maintain LAMusArt’s donor database, including data entry of contributions, issuance of acknowledgment letters, and maintenance of mailing lists as needed.
- Assist the Executive Director and Finance and Development Staff as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Enrollment in an accredited college or university is required.
• Strong interest in nonprofit arts management or arts/education program experience.
• Knowledge of basic customer service functions.
• Strong computer skills (especially in Word, Excel, and Adobe Suite).
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good organizational and time management skills and the ability to balance multiple tasks and responsibilities.
• Ability to work cooperatively and as part of a team.
• Willing to learn about processes and systems.
• Strong interest in helping under-resourced communities receive an arts education
OTHER DESIRED REQUIREMENTS
• Able and willing to work evenings and weekends as required.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license, personal vehicle, and valid insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please email resume, cover letter to Executive Director Manuel Prieto at mprieto@LAMusArt.org Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Internship is compensated with a stipend of $1,500. Please note that interns are not being hired by the Los Angeles Music and Art School; rather, they are participating in an educational program. Parking will be provided. This internship does not include medical benefits.