Arts for LA (AfLA) is seeking a full-time Executive Director (ED) to lead all aspects of the organization. The Executive Director is responsible for leading broad scale advocacy efforts for the arts in Los Angeles and beyond. The ED will effectively engage the political, funder, and arts communities to unite around this cause as well as encourage arts supporters to advocate for building a strong arts and cultural infrastructure in Los Angeles. To accomplish this the Executive Director will continue to implement and update the strategic plan with the Board; supervise a staff; provide annual and long-range financial and operational management; fundraise; and build external visibility within the wider local, state and national community of artists, arts organizations, supporters and government leaders.
AN IDEALLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
· A passion for the power of arts and cultural experiences to enrich the quality of life for both residents of and visitors to the greater Los Angeles region;
· Minimum of five years experience growing an organization in a high-level management position with an arts organization or relevant business or non-profit; a local, state arts/community agency; or as head of a music, visual arts or performing arts department in a college or university;
· Experience managing volunteer board structures and building board capacity;
· A background in mobilizing community members to support a public benefit cause;
· Experience working with diverse communities;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail with an ability to prioritize their own work, delegate, and support their team’s work;
· Contacts within the local, state, and/or national arts policy, funding, and advocacy world;
· A Bachelor’s Degree.
KEY COMPETENCIES AND TRAITS:
· Powerful and Persuasive Communicator and Presenter
· Authentic and Collaborative Leader
· Critical, Analytic and Strategic Thinker
· Results Driven and Timeline Oriented
· Business Acumen and Negotiation Savvy
· Agile Decision Maker and Inclusive Communicator
· Team Player and Reliable Colleague
To apply, please send an email with a current resume and thoughtful cover letter to [email protected]
Deadline for initial round of review is Monday, September 17. Open until filled.
A more detailed job description can be requested via e-mail to [email protected].