City of San Diego
San Diego, CA
Arts Management Associate positions perform a variety of arts administration duties associated with performing arts center management, public art project management, and arts and culture funding program management; draft funding proposals or requests for proposals; conduct studies; respond and resolve customer concerns; plan and coordinate special events and perform a variety of arts administration and project management duties; coordinate community participation and visual/performing artist selection processes; prepare and negotiate contracts with visual/performing artists; oversee the fabrication and installation of commissioned artwork; serve as a liaison with visual/performing artists, architects, engineers, other City departments and community groups; oversee maintenance of City-owned artwork; manage databases; draft press releases and public service announcements; process incoming applications or project proposals for panel review; analyze data and draft management reports; make public presentations and prepare informational materials regarding programs; process incoming applications or project proposals for panel review; prepare, track and analyze budgets; and perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: You must meet ONE of the following options:
- Bachelor's Degree in Arts History, Visual/Performing Arts, Arts Administration, Business Administration, Nonprofit Management, or a closely related field AND one of the following:
- Two years of full-time experience in the development and implementation of an arts and culture program.
- Two years of professional-level budget and/or administrative experience which must include ONE or both of the following as primary duties: Preparing, tracking and analyzing budget requests and/or conducting administrative studies, including research and analyses of data and determining appropriate courses of action.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education (i.e., minimum completed units = 120 semester/180 quarter) AND two years of full-time experience in the development and implementation of an arts and culture program.
- Additional qualifying experience developing and implementing an arts and culture program may be substituted for education lacked in Option 2 above on a year-for-year basis. One year of full-time experience = 30 semester/45 quarter college-level units.
- City of San Diego employees using Out-of-Class Assignment (OCA) experience to qualify must submit written documentation signed by their appointing authority or payroll specialist, detailing the work performed, dates, and total number of qualifying OCA hours. OCA experience without the required documentation will NOT be considered.
- Experience with visual/performing artist contract negotiations and knowledge of intellectual property law.
- Experience with writing and publishing manuals, reports, or policies for a specific audience.
- Experience with planning and producing special events.
- Experience with speaking to groups in public for training, promotional or educational purposes.
- Experience with grant writing and grant making.
- Proven track record of regular, sustained engagement with the arts and culture community.
- Proof of degree/transcripts, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
- For City of San Diego employees, proof of Out-of-Class Assignment (OCA), if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.