Los Angeles, CA
Position: Administrator, Asian Art Department
Reports To: Specialist, Asian Art Department
Location: Los Angeles, CA
This position is responsible for all pre-sale, sale and post-sale coordination; coordinates with Marketing, Operations and Finance to ensure flawless sale activity and maintenance of all sale related deadlines; responsible for the management of the consignor relationship, document management and contract maintenance; responsible for all processing and maintenance of inventory directed toward the Los Angeles Asian Art auctions.
- Responsible for the complete care of consignors including processing of contracts, inventory maintenance, resolving settlement and logistical/shipping issues, determining property status and answering all consignor inquiries
- Act as department liaison ensuring Los Angeles processes are handled in a parallel fashion in San Francisco and New York
- Provide sales report information to Senior Management and Specialists in order to help with Business Development and Marketing
- Track and report on sale performance against set objectives; analyze effectiveness of promotions and events
- Develop recommendations to streamline work processes, enhance services and maximize profitability
- Assist with catalog production (proofing, front matter, index, biographies, etc. as needed)
- Coordinate with Photography with regard to catalog, ads and any other marketing collateral images as needed
- Responds to all department consignor and buyer inquiries
- Provide assistance to Client Services in resolution of client issues as necessary. Escalate as needed
- Work within all sale related deadlines
- Set up public and private previews, includes scheduling/request preview staff and security
- Manage department's sale day activities in Los Angeles
- Support Los Angeles auctions by Phone bidding and/or Clerking
- Ensure proper sign off on all contracts, estimates and reserves
- Organize and manage departmental files with all consignor documents and sale related archives.
- Print Vendor Analysis report, check contract terms and inventory against contract
- Ensure all unsold items are scheduled for a future sale and the proper letters have been sent. Oversee the Return-To-Owner process if requested by consignor
- Monitor and manage monthly inventory reports for department
- Provide pre and post-sale inventory control, including ensuring all property is released in A3
- Receive and manage all incoming consignments ensuring accuracy of property in-house.
- Unpack, note defects, store, input, and barcode inventory
- Coordinate the movement of inventory to storage locations, photo sets, preview, transporter, to buyers and return to owners
- Coordinate property transport with support from Operations
- Tag property for auction
- Assist with preview set up and take down
- Coordinate and manage shipping of property after sale
- Assist with the Head of Department with various ad-hoc tasks
- Be available to travel as needed following all applicable advisories and guidelines
- Bachelor's degree in appropriate discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience in and desire to learn about specialty department
- Exceptional organization and communication skills, including fluency in reading, writing and speaking English and Mandarin
- Excellent problem resolution skills and customer service skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines
- Ability to perform physical tasks, including lifting, pushing and pulling, using proper lifting/moving techniques
- PC proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Outlook applications, and ability to learn company database
- Ability to work under pressure and with multiple deadlines
Please send your CV and cover letter via email to [email protected] with Administrator, Asian Department, LA in the subject line.
We thank you for your interest in this position but please note that we will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration.
Bonhams is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.