Assistant/Associate Director (Part-Time)
Active Cultures is seeking a new, part-time member of our core team to join in our work to nurture cultural practices at the intersection of contemporary art and foodways. The position works closely with the Director and the Active Cultures core team to envision, develop, and implement Active Cultures’ advancement and fundraising, membership programs, and communications work. Because this is a part-time position, this role is well suited to an entry-level candidate looking to deepen their holistic experience and understanding of an organization's work; or a candidate with a few years of experience working within non-profits, who is keen to supplement their already multi-faceted practice as an artist, writer, and/or cultural practitioner, with an opportunity to lend their voice, vision, and perspective to our mission-driven organization at an exciting moment of growth. While the position will ultimately be defined by the skills and expertise of the best candidate, this person will report to and work most closely with the Director on all aspects of the organization’s work and support the outreach and impact of our programs across our constituencies.
o Shadow and support the Director's work across all areas of development and fundraising, including donor cultivation, membership programs, earned income projects, and grant writing
• Organizational Management:
o Work with the core team to refine and implement project management tools, identifying improvements within organizational infrastructure; implement programs and technology to streamline and improve processes
• Programming and Communications
o Support AC’s strategic marketing initiatives including, but not limited to: participation in press releases, social media, and media contacts. Shadow the Director in the implementation of all external communications with the specific goal to build audience engagement
o Collaborate with the AC team to cultivate relationships with members of our community and the greater LA cultural community
• Two to five years of nonprofit arts experience, including developing, implementing, and support for innovative program models, fundraising, and/or marketing for performances, exhibitions, and other public events. Basic knowledge of and/or experience in supporting fundraising initiatives, including but not limited to grant writing, individual donor cultivation, and crowdfunding
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
• Proficient in using technology for database management, marketing, social media, and reporting
• Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Donor Database Software (or willingness to engage in onboarding training to familiarize themselves with the platform)
• Knowledge of and passion for local, national, and international arts and foodways communities, with an understanding of diverse cultural traditions and disciplines
• Based in LA County or vicinity; able to work remotely and attend meetings in Los Angeles
• Courteous and professional demeanor
• Bachelor's degree required; MA preferred.
• $25-35/hour based on skills and experience
• Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
• This is a part time, non-exempt position at 15-20 hours/week
• Active Cultures employees work remotely on a flexible schedule at the discretion of the Director, with occasional requirements for in-person meetings and attendance for in-person programs
Please send required materials as a single PDF to [email protected] by 2/22/22.
• Cover letter that speaks to your interest and experience with fundraising and capacity building small arts or nonprofit organizations
• Current curriculum vitae
• Contact information for 1-3 professional references
Active Cultures is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended at any time at the discretion of the Employer.