La Mirada, CA
Assistant/Associate Professor of Art
The Department of Art at Biola University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Art, to begin August 2018. Preferred candidates will have expertise in Design and/or New Media. Other qualified candidates with diversified expertise in studio art are encouraged to apply and will be considered in relation to specific needs of the department. The Department of Art shares the university’s mission and seeks a person who is dedicated to teaching, research, and service, and who is committed to the integration of faith and learning. Candidates are invited who are leading thinkers and practitioners in the conversations concerning Christianity, art and culture, and who will contribute to the department’s vision for deep engagement with the Los Angeles contemporary art community.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- MFA or other relevant advanced degree
- Expertise in the discourses of contemporary art
- Active professional or studio practice
- Prior teaching experience
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Expertise in Design or Design-related field
- Expertise in electronic media: web, motion graphics, and/or new media
- Significant record of professional accomplishment in a design or related field
- Familiarity with the histories and current practices of New Media / Design work
- Familiarity/Awareness of emerging technologies and experimental media, especially as they influence contemporary art/design practice
- Background in historical and contemporary design literacy
Department and University Overview
Biola’s Department of Art is committed to educating students in contemporary visual arts culture as it is experienced in the vibrant Los Angeles international arts community. The Department of Art has seven full-time faculty members; 130 studio art majors; and offers three degrees: a B.F.A. with concentrations in Design, Sculpture, Photography, Painting, and Interdisciplinary studies, a B.S. in Design, and a B.S. in Studio Art. These degrees are accredited by NASAD. The department is a leader among its peer institutions for its innovation, practical pedagogy and biblical integration of its approach to professional practice. The Center for Christianity, Culture, and the Arts (ccca.biola.edu), and the Earl and Virginia Green Art Gallery testify to the vibrancy of the arts on Biola’s campus. Many Biola art graduates continue their education with postgraduate study or pursue professional art careers.
Biola University is an evangelical Christian university that serves a student body of over 6,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The university is committed to diversity and seeks faculty who can contribute to multicultural understanding. Because Biola’s Department of Art is expressly Christian and highly student-oriented, its faculty are expected to be accessible to students as spiritual and life-decision-making mentors as well as instructors in the academic discipline they teach. The department seeks to prepare students for projects, internships and careers that reach into the rich tapestry of ethnicity across greater Los Angeles and beyond.
The candidate must show a passion for helping students prepare for living out that faith in rapidly changing global marketplace. The ideal candidate will have experience with, or a compassion for, marginalized ethnic groups in the U.S. and other countries. Bilingual and cross-cultural experience are desired in the candidate.
Application Procedure and Materials
Please send the following materials as part of your submission package to: https://biola.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=840
- Letter of application. Please make note if you will attend CAA in February 2018.
- Current Curriculum vitae
- Statement describing your Christian faith and its integration with your creative production
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- 20 images of studio work
- 20 images of student work
Posting Date: October 2017
Closing Date: applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Open Until Filled: Yes
Desired Start Date: August 2018