Assistant Director of Communications
Los Angeles, CA
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, The Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four different units: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts, the Colburn Music Academy and the Colburn Dance Academy. The Community Engagement office serves all four units with various programmatic initiatives.
The Colburn School's mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
The Assistant Director of Communications works closely with the Vice President of Communications on a comprehensive, mission-focused communications strategy to inform print and online content, including the website, social media, and email communications. He/she ensures that all communications vehicles are informed by this comprehensive strategy that promotes key messages about the school, reflects the complete scope of activities at Colburn, and inspires deeper engagement.
The Assistant Director of Communications gathers information from all divisions of the school, leads the team in producing content in support of marketing, fundraising, and admissions goals, and measures the effectiveness of content through analysis of online engagement. He/she is a leader within the department and oversees website and social media content, offers special expertise in crafting effective communications, and ensures high level of quality among all print and online content produced across the school.
- Maintain school wide editorial calendar that captures the people and stories across all divisions of the school and inspires deeper engagement in support of fundraising, admissions, audience building, and overall awareness goals.
- Ensure that key institutional messages and the school wide editorial calendar are reflected in print and online channels, including web content, social media, institutional email communications, and print brochures.
- Regularly meet with team members to analyze online engagement and performance of content on the website, social media, and email to better understand which stories have generated the most interest for the school and adjust editorial calendar accordingly.
- Work with Advancement and academic departments to help develop communications strategies in support of fundraising and admissions goals.
- Work with VP of Communications to develop alumni communications strategy, creating specialized communications to speak directly to this important constituent group.
- Draft copy as needed for Spotlight Stories and Colburn in Focus, brainstorm additional website and social media features with the Communications team and produce content as needed.
- Oversee email communications, ensure coordination of messages going out and identify areas of overlap among constituent groups.
- Ensures all publications adhere to a standard copy style guide and undergo a proofreading and review system. Oversee program production process, ensuring consistent editorial standards and high quality across programs for all divisions.
- Implement systems for proofreading and ensuring high quality copy for all online and print content.
- Supervise web manager and digital media specialist.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates should have five to seven years of experience in communications, marketing, or a related field, with strong writing and project-management skills. Familiarity with music, dance, and the performing arts is strongly recommended, and a desire to learn quickly about them is essential. In addition, the Colburn School is looking for the following qualities:
- Knowledge of and experience with all communications tools, including print pieces, email, website, and social media.
- Creative storyteller who is always looking for new ways to tell stories
- Attention to detail, particularly as relates to written copy, and ability to maintain high editorial standards across a variety of online and print publications.
- Ability to draw conclusions from online engagement data, including social media statistics, email open rates.
- Strategic thinker with ability to manage the needs of multiple institutional stakeholders.
- Multifaceted writer, with ability to write and edit long-form blog posts, marketing copy, and other types.
- Experience managing, mentoring and supervising staff.
- Excellent organization and time management skills and ability to work in fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Excellent salary and great benefits including medical, dental, life, LTD, 403(b) retirement plan and more!
Apply online at: