About the Position:
The Pasadena Playhouse is looking for a topnotch events producer who can also fundraise from individuals and corporate partners. The Assistant Director of Events (ADoE) will be responsible for leading all Playhouse donor events including our annual Gala, Opening Nights, and other member events, while also being a frontline fundraiser in soliciting individual donations and corporate support and in-kind gifts.
The ADoE is a leadership role within the Playhouse and will work closely with the Chief Development Officer (CDO), senior staff, Trustees and across many departments to streamline event production while balancing the myriad needs of the development, marketing, artistic, finance and production departments. There is also opportunity for growth in responsibility, title and compensation, based on the ADoE’s ability to fundraise.
This is an exempt position that requires many evening and weekend responsibilities.
○ Focus the organization on the attendee journey and build high-quality events and experiences around those journeys while meeting development goals.
○ Drives alignment of events with overall Playhouse strategy; helps ensure the right audience experiences the right event at the right time.
○ Build an Event Production Timeline that seamlessly incorporates all manpower (both inside and outside the organization) and their assigned tasks before, during and after the event.
With the CDO build a long-term strategy for the annual Gala while aligning it with the Playhouse’s long-term strategic plan. This will include:
■ Developing a three-year plan to achieve a modern, inclusive, celebratory, $500K+ net event that is clearly branded and differentiated from other major fundraisers.
■ Building a Gala committee from the ground up and stewarding those relationships.
■ Assisting the development department in growing all individual revenue streams: sponsorships, silent auction, live auction, paddle raise, ticketing, etc.
○ Drive down event costs via sponsorships, corporate partnerships, marketing exchanges, and/or in-kind product.
○ Develop preferred vendor list and grow relationships into contributions and/or in-kind gifts.
○ Secure all necessary manpower, equipment, materials and supplies.
○ Complete all necessary documentation and budgets.
Fundraising - Corporate
○ Work with the Assistant Director of Development to build the Playhouse’s corporate portfolio, including researching prospects.
○ Work with the CDO on proposals, pitch meetings, activations and corporate employee engagement at Playhouse events.
○ Elevate vendors donating in-kind and other services to corporate-level benefits.
Fundraising - Individuals
○ In addition to cultivating and stewarding individuals involved with the Gala and other event chairs and co-chairs, work with frontline fundraisers and senior staff on growing contributions from non-event related individuals and Trustees.
● Other duties and special projects as needed.
● A proven track record of improving high-quality events.
● 5-6 years of events experience, and demonstrated success in change management or building portfolios or systems a significant plus.
● Able to command an army of staff, volunteers, vendors, artists, etc. all striving towards reaching shared event goals and timelines.
● Budget management.
● Extensive background in building processes and getting them adopted.
● References that speak to excellent relationship management.
● Proficiency in G-Suites and Microsoft applications.
● Kaizen and growth mindsets.
● Prefers building and improving, rather than the status quo.
● Donor-centric point of view and hospitality background.
● High level of diplomacy while working with donors, volunteers, vendors, staff, etc.
● Dedicated to excellence.
● Collaborative style.
● Interest in high workload translating into high reward.
There are no major sources of discomfort and the Playhouse is a standard office environment with regular exposure to video terminal displays. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The ADoE is occasionally required to lift or move up to 15 pounds.
Compensation is $63,000 (Salaried and Exempt). Benefits package includes medical, dental, life insurance coverage, PTO and a 403(b) plan. Start date is immediate.
How To Apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume in one PDF to [email protected] with “ADoE” in the subject line.
We work to maintain a positive environment for our employees, where people can learn, grow and thrive with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative, transparent workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
The Pasadena Playhouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.