The Broad Stage
Los Angeles, CA
Department: Front of House
Reports House Manager
Position Type: Part-Time Non Exempt (10-20 hours/week)
The Assistant House Manager is responsible for the operation of The Broad Stage Front of House areas (lobby, auditorium and other public areas) in absence of the House Manager. This position encompasses usher management, coordination of assigned activities related to Broad Stage events/performances, merchandise sales, and public safety. In addition, the Assistant House Manager coordinates the selection, training, retention and scheduling of volunteers ensuring that the goals and objectives of the Volunteer Program are met. This position is responsible for ensuring the delivery of exceptional customer service by all front line staff and the well-being of patrons.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure the safety of the audience and all Front of House personnel
- Recruit, screen, schedule, monitor and assess volunteers
- Assess internal needs for volunteers and opportunities for external groups and individuals to get involved
- Record and report on volunteer statistics
- Maintain and execute the Volunteer Recognition Program
- Enforce theatre policies as they relate to the theatre, lobby, fire safety, building security and Front of House
- Control audience traffic and manage patron problems before, during and after each performance
- Ensure that the needs of the audience are looked after
- Coordinate the activities of ushers and volunteers, ensuring that tickets are collected, patrons counted, programs distributed, and audience members are seated for every show
- Coordinate the safe and non-disruptive entrance of latecomers to the theatre
- Be prepared for, keep records on, and inform department administration about any first aid emergencies, patron accidents or other similar occurrences
- Be familiar with fire regulations, safety regulations and alcoholic beverage control regulations and to ensure that all FOH personnel and patrons are abiding by these regulations
- Facilitate evacuation of the audience in case of an emergency
QUALIFICATION AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- Minimum of three years of customer service experience
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience in a theatrical setting
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in volunteer management
- Exceptional customer service, communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Strong analytical assessment skills
- Ability to quickly respond to patron needs and any situation that may arise
- Ability to use proper etiquette and good judgement
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Excel, and Word software is essential
- Working knowledge of OvationTix or other ticketing software (preferred)
- General knowledge of theater or the performing arts (preferred)
- Daytime, evening and weekend work is required
- Flexibility to work irregular hours as the job demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee must be able to stand for long periods of time. The employee may have to climb one or more flights of stairs, as well as move about on the upper levels of the theater. The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include seeing in the dark with use of flashlight, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to noisy.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
If interested, please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the “Assistant House Manager” in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.