The Assistant Stage Manager is responsible for supporting the Director of Production in planning and executing production needs at the Renee and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, Symphony on the Go! mobile stage, and other venues in which Pacific Symphony performs.
• Work with Director of Production in determining production needs for all services of the orchestra, including audio, lighting, stage plots, scenic elements, instrument needs (percussion, pianos, etc), and any other production and technical needs as required.
• Work closely with the production and technical personnel of each venue the Symphony performs and communicate the needed production and technical requirements of the orchestra.
• Act as Stage Manager for assigned orchestral series (rehearsals and performances), including Family Musical Mornings, Class Act Youth Concerts, Soka University performances, Organ recitals, Pacific Symphony Youth Ensembles concerts, education and community engagement events, occasional Pops and Classics concerts, and other added services as they occur throughout the season.
• Co-produce the Symphony on the Go! mobile stage performance series with the Operations Coordinator.
• Liaise with Symphony musicians to resolve issues, fulfill onstage requests, and communicate information on behalf of the Operations department.
• Hire, recruit, and manage casual labor crews.
• Coordinate truck rentals and schedule personnel for truck loads and unloads.
• Provide soloist and/or orchestra hospitality, including cleaning towels and providing water for guest artists and conductor as needed.
• Work with Director of Production on load-ins, load-outs, set-ups, rehearsals, and concerts.
• Contact vendors to obtain quotes and coordinate delivery for needed gear, services, and personnel.
• Troubleshoot Pacific Symphony equipment difficulties and arrange for repairs as needed.
• Research and recommend equipment purchases for the organization and work with the Director of Production to determine budgets.
• Pacific Symphony warehouse organization and maintenance.
• Assist the Pacific Symphony percussion section with set-ups and tear-downs.
• Assist the Director of Production with additional tasks as requested.
• Experience in live event or theater production required, orchestral preferred.
• Enthusiastic about working with Music Director, musicians, conductors, guest artists, stage crew, colleagues, and casual labor crew.
• Ability to manage casual labor and other support personnel and communicate in a calm, patient, professional manner.
• Significant technical knowledge about stage lighting, audio, and video.
• Possess quick thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Possess strong organization and communication skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Publisher.
• Self-motivated, with the ability to manage own time.
• Ability to work long hours on feet (often outdoors), nights, and weekends.
• Ability to lift 50 lb comfortably.
• Must be a team player.
• Ability to maintain a sense of humor when the going gets tough.