Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts
Beverly Hills, CA
Assistant Technical Director
The Assistant Technical Director supervises and directs technical over hire staff and works alongside the Technical Director assisting in all stage and performance related operations including running crews, planning, scheduling, budgeting, purchasing, event management and stage labor. The ATD is directly responsible for overseeing the over hire staffing schedule and crew recruitment. This position reports directly to the Technical Director.
- A wide and thorough knowledge of technical theater practices is required.
- Three (3) years’ experience in theatrical stage or production management or a related field required. Experience in other performance related areas also strongly desired.
- Knowledge of stage related activities, such as stage management, carpentry, rigging, electrics, sound, properties, costumes/wardrobe, stage design, touring, special effects, mechanization, drafting, structural engineering, and theater design.
- Able to supervise and direct crew activities as well as lead multiple crews simultaneously.
- Must show initiative and work efficiently in stressful situations.
- Ability to specify and secure outside services and materials to support Wallis productions as needed.
- Thorough familiarity with Excel and Word required.
- Ability to draft in Auto/CAD and/or Vectorworks highly desired.
- Ability to plan ahead and facilitate in problem solving.
- Clear understanding of the artistic process and excellent communication, interpersonal, teamwork, and diplomacy skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Team player: works closely with Production Department Heads, Stage Managers and Production Supervisor.
- Familiarity with proper safety protocols for theatrical productions, OSHA & fire codes.
- Ability to work a varying schedule, including nights and weekends.
- Strong organizational skills and work habits.
- Experience with touring productions and international artists is a plus.
- Higher level education required - BA or BFA degree. MFA preferred.
- Supervise and direct various technical crews and running crews.
- Supervise and stage manage events or rentals as necessary.
- Provide support in all production areas, including but not limited to running various crews, production and labor scheduling, performance budgeting, and planning and coordinating the use of all stages and stage related equipment.
- Serve as an important logistics link and establish relationships with performers and renters and assist in determining services to be provided by the Wallis.
- Assist in the supervision of stage labor in compliance with Wallis policies and procedures.
- Work with other departments to provide and maintain a safe working environment.
- Responsible for reading show reports, rehearsal schedules, and facilities calendars. Follow-up on applicable details or notes and communicate information to supervisors and staff as appropriate.
- Attend full staff meetings, production head meetings, production department meetings, post mortems, and board meetings as necessary.
- Facilitate the use of the technical facilities by the visiting company and others engaged by or renting the facility.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: stand for extended periods; sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
This position begins on September 4, 2018. If you would like to apply to this position and your qualifications meet the job requirements, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].