Los Angeles, CA
JOB POSITION OPPORTUNITY: ASSOCIATE EDITOR
For major bi-monthly Los Angeles contemporary art magazine
- Assigning and copy-editing reviews
- Three feature stories with editing and packaging for publishing (gathering images, captions, sending to copy editor)
- Working closely with editor in chief on shaping each issue with assignments and preparing runlist
- Assigning each week a Gallery Round review, editing and preparing on wordpress
- Last read on all editorial in the magazine and synopsizing every issue’s content
This job will require a certain amount of hours per 2-month cycle, as the magazine is a bi-monthly, but can work your own pace as long as deadlines are met. The associate editor must have knowledge of the contemporary art world, specifically the Los Angeles area. They will also be required to work closely with the editor in chief and share the same concerns with the magazine. A certain amount of commitment and enthusiasm must accompany this position. Any candidate for this position should possess a genuine love and interest for the Los Angeles contemporary art community and its relevance to the art world. The associate editor can help shape the magazine’s content as much as the editor, as they will essentially be partners on the editorial side of the magazine.
Hours are flexible and work remotely a majority of the time. Bi-monthly meetings are required also.
EDUCATION: BA in journalism, English, art history or communications
JOB DUTIES: Assigning, reviewing and editing copies, working with writers on deadlines, overseeing production of feature stories, copy-editing and some proofreading
SALARY: Approximate $25-$30 per hour. Part-time, Flat fee per issue.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Command of the English language with knowledge of punctuation, spelling and grammar; communications skills when working with other writers and coworkers; experience with Microsoft word and its editing program
All interested applicants please send cover letter, along with resume to email@example.com