The J. Paul Getty Trust
Los Angeles, CA
The J. Paul Getty Museum collects, conserves, and interprets works of art of outstanding quality and historical importance. One of the most-visited museums in the United States, the J. Paul Getty Museum attracts visitors from around the world to our two locations in Los Angeles and Malibu, California. We create best-in-class and award-winning exhibitions across broad collecting areas that range from antiquity to the present day. We enhance our exhibitions and collection display with leading scholarship and interpretation through text and media.
The J. Paul Getty Museum seeks an Associate Exhibitions Editor to support our ambitious display and exhibition program. This permanent position reporting to the Exhibitions Editor within the division of Education, Public Programs, and Interpretive Media. The Associate Editor will serve a pivotal role shaping our interpretive content from draft to public presentation.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a key editorial authority over public-facing didactic and interpretive text within the museum.
- Work with authors to shape gallery and promotional text for clarity, accuracy, and audience.
- Shepherd text from label through production and gallery display.
- Work closely with curators, scholars, staff designers, educators, production coordinators, and registrars through all stages of gallery text production.
- Ensure text meets Getty stylistic and quality standards and is consistent across the sites regardless of author.
- Edit texts of various levels of complexity from a variety of authors.
- Establish and monitor multiple overlapping schedules in a fast-paced workflow.
- Oversee the work of freelancers including copyeditors and temporary exhibition editors.
- Bachelor's degree in the humanities (preferably in English or Art History); MA preferred
- At least 3 years of relevant publishing experience, preferably in either a museum or university press environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Prefer 3 or more years working experience as an editor of museum gallery text.
- Highly organized, extremely detail-oriented, and able to set priorities and juggle competing demands.
- Advanced copyediting and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Ability to edit electronically in Microsoft Word and Adobe InDesign.
- Familiarity with the collecting areas of the J. Paul Getty Museum (Antiquities, Drawings, European Decorative Arts and Sculpture, European Paintings, Manuscripts, Photography) is preferred.
- Knowledge of one or more European languages helpful.
- Requires tact, diplomacy, teamwork, and the ability to collaborate with a wide range of project participants in a positive environment.