The Geffen Playhouse
Los Angeles, CA
TITLE: Associate House Sound Supervisor
STATUS: Full Time - Yearly / Regular / Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: House Sound Supervisor
SALARY: DOE + Benefits
The Geffen Playhouse seeks an Associate House Sound Supervisor to assist in the planning and execution of the sound designs of theatrical and event productions at The Geffen Playhouse in both the Gil Cates Theater and Audrey Skirball Kenis Theater. To be the audio mixer/ sound operator for theatrical and event productions in either the Gil Cates or Audrey Skirball Kenis Theater.
- Assist the House sound Supervisor with research, interpretation and implementation of sound designs for all Geffen Playhouse productions, events and rentals.
- Perform as Audio Mixer/Audio Operator/Microphone Dresser on Geffen theatrical and event productions.
- Lead audio production crews in implementing sound designs in a timely, safe, and well-executed manner.
- Supervise and lead crews during load-in, technical rehearsals, and strike for Geffen theatrical and event productions.
- Become familiar with script, design concepts and audio system drawings in order to efficiently address questions from production and facilities staff.
- Maintain the integrity of the sound design throughout the production.
- Maintain the integrity of the production communications system, both wired infrastructure and wireless.
- Be in attendance for all production meetings, rehearsals, technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals, previews, and performances as required.
- Read rehearsal reports, production/show reports, rehearsal schedules and production calendars. Follow up on and complete applicable notes and communicate information to the appropriate staff.
- Set up, maintain, and troubleshoot audio computer networks.
- Set up, maintain, and repair all rehearsal and show related audio equipment.
- Help troubleshoot technical notes and problems as they come up.
- Install and maintain simple, closed circuit video systems as needed for the productions.
- Program Qlab for theatrical playback.
- Program/modify the current setup of the audio consoles for the current theatrical or event productions.
- Transport audio equipment to and from audio rental vendors, as need arises.
- Take a lead role and be pro-active in providing a safe working environment, including managing and training on equipment, record keeping, incident reporting.
- Identify practices and procedures that can be changed or modified to make the running of shows or theatre operations at the Geffen Playhouse more efficient and effective.
- Represent Geffen Playhouse’s best interest when outside renters are using the facilities.
- Responsible for keeping high morale, dedication to a high quality of work, sense of pride in the forefront of all crews and over hire staff for all departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA in Technical Theater and Design or equivalent professional experience.
- 2-3 years professional experience, preferably in live audio mixing.
- Knowledge of all aspects of technical production.
- Strong working knowledge of Qlab and Mac OS.
- Experience with Vectorworks and AutoCad is beneficial.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in a variety of audio related areas including, but not limited to: microphone reinforcement, recording techniques, sound editing, live audio mixing, equalization, time alignment, and console programming.
- Ability to produce accurate audio system drawings and/or patch sheets to ensure the integrity of the sound design.
- Skill and experience in creative problem solving to meet the artistic needs of the show within time and financial requirements.
- Ability to work well under pressure and respond calmly and efficiently to frequent changes during the production and rehearsal process.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with members of the production department.
- Ability to effectively communicate by asking informed questions, relaying information to others, and effectively giving and receiving criticism.
- Knowledge of safety procedures to maintain a safe working environment.
- Skill in repair and maintenance of standard audio equipment.
- Experience managing crews.
- Ability to work long hours, i.e. - 40 hour weeks plus weekends and evenings, as necessary.
- A pro-active and eager attitude.
- An ongoing interest in theater technology and audio techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to problem solve and keep calm under pressure.
- Ability to frequently lift, carry or otherwise move and position objects weighting up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work on ladders, at heights, and in hard-to-reach places.
- A valid driver’s license and passport are required.
- A functional knowledge of microphones, speakers, and other audio equipment.
- Ability to mix line by line for live dialogue.
- Ability to mix musical groups/bands as FOH mixer or monitor mixer.
This position is non-exempt and is subject to overtime. A competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package offered, including medical, dental, vision insurance, vacation pay, paid sick leave, personal days, and 401(k) retirement program.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in .pdf or .doc format at www.geffenplayhouse.org/apply. No phone calls, please.
Geffen Playhouse provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Geffen Playhouse complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Geffen Playhouse expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Geffen Playhouse’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.