Reports To: Editor-in-chief
Full-time, 40 hours/week, exempt
Bitch Media’s headquarters are in Portland, Oregon, but this position can be based anywhere.
Bitch Media is seeking an ambitious, imaginative, and collaborative Art Director to join our
editorial team. The ideal candidate is a highly creative, conceptual designer and thinker who’s
deadline-oriented, an organized project manager, and a born collaborator. If you have a
sophisticated design aesthetic, a passion for designing across mediums, a strong attention to
detail, and an ability to work through tight deadlines with a positive attitude, then we’re looking
for you. We want candidates who are willing to challenge the existing rules of magazine design
and present big and bold ideas that continue evolving our visual strategy. We strongly encourage
people from underrepresented communities to apply.
The Art Director reports to our editor-in-chief and is a key member of our editorial team. The Art
Director is responsible for creating, maintaining, and executing the day-to-day operational flow
for artwork through three core responsibilities: (1) Collaboratively strategizing and executing the
entire print magazine, Bitch Magazine, including front of book, feature well, culture, and
advertisements; (2) Collaboratively strategizing and executing creative for all digital-first
editorial content, including digital series and social-first content; and (3) Creating, maintaining,
and executing a data-backed visual style guide or manual that helps Bitch Magazine and
bitchmedia.org visually evolve and retain its cutting edge without losing sight of industry
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptualizing and Designing Bitch Magazine
- Creates, maintains, and enforces a visual style guide or manual that outlines the visual
strategy for Bitch Media in conjunction with the broader editorial strategy.
- Establishes brand-based creative approaches that are ahead of the market in terms of
design layout, readability, and being on the lookout for cutting-edge design techniques.
- Works with the editor-in-chief to develop, implement, and execute the full design
strategy for each issue of Bitch Magazine, including all layouts, all art, and the cover.
- Scouts, commissions, and oversees all contracted artists who help uphold the magazine’s
visual quality, ensuring there’s style continuity and no errors.
- Grows a database of illustrators and photographers from marginalized communities.
- Collaborates with the editor-in-chief and the managing editor to maintain a production
schedule that balances editorial and design needs.
- In conjunction with the managing editor, manages production of the quarterly magazine
with the printer, including sending files to press and making/sending corrections to the
- Creates and maintains organizational documents that outline all design-focused magazine
Conceptualizing and Designing bitchmedia.org
- Helps evolve a cohesive identity for bitchmedia.org and social media-first content,
including page templates, photo/illustration treatments, and other defining graphic
- Translates all magazine stories for the digital audience, ensuring there’s a set schedule for
the digital edition, preparing all print-to-web stories, and creating a variety of animations,
videos, and photographs to promote each issue’s cover and content.
- Scouts, commissions, and oversees all contracted artists for selected digital stories,
including photo essays, features, and book excerpts.
- Creates and maintains all supplemental materials that support efficient and ever-evolving
production processes, such as an updated visual style guide or manual.
- Works with editor-in-chief to develop annual editorial team budget, particularly as it
relates to photography, illustration, typography, and other art-focused needs.
- Works with editor-in-chief to develop and execute visual strategy for editorial-led
projects, like Bitch 50.
- Offers editorial team trainings to keep Bitch up-to-date with best practices for visual
strategy across all platforms.
- Participate in editorial meetings and editorial team projects.
- Management of other art-focused roles, if art-focused roles are added to the organization.
- Other duties assigned by editor-in-chief.
- Bitch Media’s ideal candidate will have at least three years of print magazine design
experience, one year of digital design experience, and two years in a leadership role
where you’ve managed employees and deadlines.
- You should have cross-platform understanding of latest trends and best practices in
- You should have demonstrated familiarity with magazine production, including getting
the issue from production to the newsstand.
- You should have excellent time management, project management, and planning skills,
and be a stickler for meeting deadlines and coordinating multiple workflows.
- You should know the ins-and-outs of content management and organizational systems,
including Drupal, Box, and Dropmark, and know how to use them effectively.
- You should have a demonstrated fluency with the Adobe Creative Suite, particularly
InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- You should thrive in a collaborative environment, be an eager team player, and be willing
to take ownership over this role.
- You should have a deep knowledge of intersectional feminism and popular culture.
Salary and Classification
Annual compensation is $55,000. This is a full-time exempt position. Benefits include full health
and dental insurance, paid vacation and sick time, and retirement.
Please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Art Director.”
- The body of the email should be your cover letter, including a clear statement that
explains why you are interested and qualified for this position, why you want to work for
Bitch Media, and a summary of your relevant experience.
- In one PDF attachment:
1. Please include a résumé and three references (references will only be contacted at the
end of the hiring process).
2. Include five samples of work, particularly print layouts, you’ve designed or art
directed. What was your role?
Please email cover letter, résumé, and samples (in one PDF) to [email protected]
referencing “Art Director” in the subject line by March 26 at 5:00 p.m. PST.
Preference given to those who can start as soon as possible. Please give your start date and any
availability issues in your cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on rolling basis and
position is open until filled.
- Bitch Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, age, disability or veteran status.
- Principals only, recruiters; please do not contact this job poster.
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products, or commercial interests.
- No phone calls, please.
- For more information, please visit www.bitchmedia.org