The Underground Museum
Los Angeles, CA
The Underground Museum (The UM) is seeking a knowledgeable Bookstore Manager to support day-to-day management, operations, and growth strategies for our brick and mortar and online retail stores. The Manager will work closely with The UM’s VP/COO and a small advisory committee to handle all aspects of bookstore operations, including book/merchandise purchasing, planning, customer service, pricing, point-of-sale system, inventory control, basic bookkeeping, market expansion, and other operations/infrastructure.
- Establish a clear inventory system and determine needed systems for upkeep
- Work closely with The UM’s book buying advisors, existing artisans, and new partners to stock, catalogue, and sell all merchandise
- Support the advisory committee to source and research bookstore items
- Help convene meetings as needed with internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain onsite and offsite stock rooms
- Set up a Shopify account, including product inventory photos and copywriting
- Refresh existing POS systems
- Manage daily bookkeeping and end-of-day sales reports
- Review and update product pricing structures to align with revenue goals and current market values
- Support advisors to maintain the aesthetics of the physical bookstore, including all fixtures and decor
- Work closely with the Operations Manager to process all purchase orders and invoices
- Develop a model for processing and shipping online orders or sourcing distribution partners
- Create a system to train part-time bookstore staff once systems are in place
- Offer strategies to promote the bookstore (Instagram, print ads, etc)
- Work with designated team members on production of The UM specific merchandise, including coordinating designs for approvals; sourcing and ordering materials; coordinating with manufacturers and keeping production process on schedule
- Work with designated team members to create an annual The UM Holiday Gift for museum supporters, including coordinating design and gift distribution
- Collaborate with The UM programming team to plan bookstore related events
- Knowledge of art, art history, and contemporary literature
- Experience working with both brick and mortar retail and eCommerce, specifically for museums or other creative spaces. Knowledge of museum bookstores is a plus
- Understanding of cost of sales and general bookkeeping practices
- Strong sense of strategy with a demonstrated track record of retail growth.
- Deep knowledge of Shopify
- Understanding of CRMs (i.e NationBuilder) and integration with Shopify a plus
- Deep understanding of the eCommerce landscape and tools required to structure a cohesive and context-relevant digital experience
- Collaborative spirit, willing to work with a team structure to envision and execute ideas
- Friendly, curious and eager to engage in conversations with guests and customers
Navigating the COVID-19 Pandemic
In March 2020, we closed our physical space in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are monitoring local and national changes and following LA County and City guidelines around staff and guest safety. While closed to the public, we have continued to sell merchandise through our website. While we don’t anticipate opening our retail space before December 2021, we want to continue to expand online sales prior to re-opening to the public.