Bucharest International Dance Film Festival
Open Call for Shorts & Scripts in Development
dance films, musicals
BIDFF - Bucharest International Dance Film Festival (4-8 September 2019)
Bucharest International Dance Film Festival invites film directors, choreographers, visual artists, animators and musicians to submit their short films and/or feature film scripts in development to the fifth edition of the festival.
BIDFF is becoming bigger and more diverse. Besides our regular international and national competition dedicated to short dance films, this year we have opened a new competitional category for musicals. Moreover, we highly encourage you to apply if you have a movement themed animation or if you have a film that is centered on the concept of embodiment.
The competition is dedicated only to short films and the board will take into considerations fiction, documentary and musical films, that either use movement to explore an idea, either speak about issues related to the body and the world of dance.
Starting with this edition, the events dedicated to professionals are part of E X P A N D. The E X P A N D industry platform includes the Script Development Lab, looking for creators that have scripts for feature or medium-length films in the first phase of development.
BIDFF awards excellence, novelty and courage in filmmaking, with a prize pool of 3000 euro.
Conditions for Submitting your Work
Short Film Competition
deadline: July 21
We are looking for:
- films of maximum 20 minutes, produced in the last 2 years, in the genres of dance film (fiction, animation, experimental or documentary) about body/dance;
- musicals of maximum 20 minutes, produced in the last 5 years;
- with a minimum quality of Full HD (1920 x 1080);
We are not looking for:
- music videos, trailers or recordings of performances, films already submitted in the previous years to BIDFF, 1-minute films, commercials;
- cash awards for Best International Film (1000 euro), Best Romanian Film (500 euro) and Best Musical (500 euro);
- subsidies for accommodation and partial travel subsidies for all selected artists living outside of Bucharest;
About the application:
- deadline for submissions is July 21, 2019 at 4 PM (Central European Time);
- all applicants will be informed about the outcome of their submission by August 10, 2019;
- each director may submit a maximum 2 films in the competition.
SUBMIT YOUR FILM:
BIDFF dedicated platform: https://form.jotform.com/91588220949266
FilmFreeway platform: https://filmfreeway.com/BucharestInternationalDanceFilmFestival
! Don't apply with the same film on both platforms.
E X P A N D
Industry Days & Script Development Lab
deadline: July 30
BIDFF has been striving to create a platform for the development of future cutting edge films that push the boundaries of art cinema beyond the genre, while in the same time to support local filmmakers and dance artists in collaborating for the creation of new experimental cinema.
This September, we are inviting to Bucharest festival directors and programmers, producers, experts in film and choreography. E X P A N D Lab will be hosted by Apollo 111 and mentored by Andy Wood (UK), Claudia Kappenberg (UK) and Peter Schneider (USA).
The lab consists of lectures, pitching sessions, one-to-one meetings with mentors and industry experts.
We are looking for:
- 5 scripts in the first phase of development for medium-length and feature dance films (fiction, documentary, animation) and musicals that either use a non-verbal language, either tackle body issues or have themes related to the context of dance making and its influence in the social space;
- free accommodation, festival accreditation and a partial reimbursement of up to 100 euros for travel;
- an award of 1000 euro for Best Film in Development;
About the application:
- the process is simple and free of charge, you will need to complete an online form with a logline, synopsis, a description that emphasizes the current state of development of your film and a biography;
- if you are planning to make your film a Romanian co-production, you'll be asked wether you are already working with a local producer or you are searching for one;
- application is free of charge and no other taxes will be requested by BIDFF for taking part in the lab, if selected;
- deadline for submissions is July 30, 2019 at 4 PM (Central European Time);
- all applicants will be informed about the outcome of their submission by August 10, 2019.
SUBMIT YOUR PROJECT:
The Network is the theme of the fifth edition of BIDFF and marks the beginning of a new phase for the festival, by integrating in its programming films from multiple genres. We want to connect artists, producers, presenters and thinkers that question the future of the body, seen both in its anatomical sense but also as a "body of work" or an "ecosystem of collaboration".
Ioana Diaconu / firstname.lastname@example.org / www.bidff.ro