Blue Line Arts
By Hand: International Fine Craft Competition
Sponsored by the Creative Arts League of Sacramento, By Hand is an international biennial fine craft competition. Handcrafted items include everything from furniture, elegant vases and jewelry boxes to wall hangings, pottery and sculpture made by hand from glass, clay, wood, metal, fiber and more.
Juror: Holly Jerger
Cash Award Prizes
1st Place $1,000
2nd Place $500
3rd Place $250
A full color catalog of the show will be available for purchase.
Juror: Holly Jerger
Holly Jerger is the exhibitions curator at Craft Contemporary (formerly Craft & Folk Art Museum) in Los Angeles, CA. Since 2015, she has organized or co-organized numerous exhibitions at Craft Contemporary, including Chapters: Book Arts in Southern California, Gronk’s Theater of Paint, Betye Saar: Keepin’ it Clean, and Melting Point: Movements in Contemporary Clay. Prior to her appointment as exhibitions curator, Jerger served as senior curator of public engagement (2005-2014), developing 90 programs annually. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Ball State University, Indiana, and a Master of Fine Arts from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where she also taught. She has served on the boards of the Museum Educators of Southern California (MESC) and the Los Angeles Printmaking Society.
Deadline to enter: November 14, 2019
Exhibition Dates: January 3 – March 6, 2020
Notification: November 21, 2019
Shipping deadline of work to Blue Line Arts: December 28, 2019
Hand deliver work to Blue Line Arts: December 29th or 30th, 2019
Opening Reception: January 18, 2020, 4 – 8 pm
Closing Reception: February 15, 2020, 4 – 8 pm
Pick up unsold work from Blue Line Arts: March 7th or 8th, from 10 am to 3 pm
● Open to artists everywhere: national and international
● All artwork must be original and completed within the last two years
● Artwork cannot have been previously exhibited at Blue Line Arts
● All wall pieces must be ready to hang
● All artwork must be for sale
● Accepted artwork that differs significantly from the image in online submission will be disqualified
● No accepted entry may be withdrawn or sold outside of the exhibition prior to the closing date
● Blue Line Arts handles all sales transactions. Non-member artists receive a 50% commission from all gallery sales and members receive a 60% commission
● Size limitations: art must be able to enter through the doors with a clearance of 94”h x 91”w. Ceilings in the gallery are 10 feet high. No work over 60 lbs will be accepted.
● The artist is responsible to pay for all shipping and should have a prepaid label from FedEx or UPS (No US Mail) for the return of artwork. Please mark the outside of your box with your last name in bold letters.
● All shipping of fragile art must be packed as in this link. Please visit: https://www.fedex.com/downloads/shared/packagingtips/howtopack.pdf
Entry Fees: There is a non-refundable entry fee of $45 for the By Hand show. This initial fee covers 3 image uploads; there is a $5 fee for every additional image upload.
Application Requirements: Applicants must apply using the form on the Call for Entry (CAFE) website. You must be 18 years or older to apply.
Questions: If you have any questions about submissions, please contact Blue Line Arts staff during open hours at (916) 783-4117 or email email@example.com
Prospectus and Application link: