LA City Council District 14
Los Angeles, CA
Councilmember José Huizar’s Bringing Back Broadway initiative is seeking submissions from LA artists to create a cohesive mural design program for 21 utility boxes along Broadway between 1st and 12th Street. This programmatic commission is being coordinated by Bringing Back Broadway in partnership with the Historic Core BID, Downtown Center BID and Fashion District BID in conjunction with the Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative (L.A.N.I.) The selected artist will receive a $5,000 stipend upon receipt / approval of final design. Artwork will be printed on vinyl and will be professionally installed.
- Be by LA-based artists age 18+.
- Allow for one artist or one art director to design and / or curate the design of a unified, cohesive aesthetic for all 21 individually designed boxes on Broadway between 1st and 12th Street. Each box will be individually designed as part of the whole programmatic commission to a single artist or art director.
- Focus on Broadway in DTLA. Reflect Broadway's place as the heart of a vibrant urban center. Be inspired by the storied corridor, its architecture, history & future. Broadway has meant so much to people throughout the decades, and her future is just as bright as her past. Historic preservation is not about pressing pause, but about remaining relevant as time moves on. Proposals that embrace and encapsulate Broadway’s unique nature, special character, and continual evolution will captivate the selection committee.
- Complement the new Broadway streetscape and other pedestrian-focused improvements of the corridor.
- Be social-media friendly. We hope these utility boxes become a “must share.” What would make someone stop in their tracks to share this piece of Broadway on Instagram, SnapChat or Facebook?
Submissions will be evaluated by a panel selected by Bringing Back Broadway and scored on the following criteria:
- Thematic / Programmatic Approach
- Artistic Quality
- Creative Vision
- Technical Ability
For more information on Submission Guidelines, Requirements, Technical Specifications, Locations of Utility Boxes, and Submission Process, visit: http://tinyurl.com/21BroadwayBoxes
Deadline for Submissions: Friday, December 2, 2016.