Palm Springs Mural Fest
Palm Springs, CA
Palm Springs Mural Festival 2019 (aka PS Mural Fest and PSMF) is proud to present this inaugural event. We are requesting muralist or muralist group proposals for large-scale murals to be displayed throughout the City of Palm Springs, CA.
Artists are being asked to submit proposals for both temporary and permanent display. Selected works will be on view for 6-12 months depending on the assigned sites and their locations.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: SUNDAY, MARCH 31, 2019 AT 4:00 P.M.
Event Dates: June 27th through June 30th 2019
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Openings: 20 muralists or mural groups
“Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.”
In the inaugural year of PS Mural Fest, we are choosing to launch with the theme, WORDS MATTER.
Words are powerful. They have the ability to inspire, motivate, and persuade, or to discourage, dismiss, and dissuade. According to Darlene Price, author of Well Said! Presentations and Conversations That Get Results, “With your words, you wield the power to plant seeds of either success or failure in the mind of another, and in the process you reveal who you are, how you think, and what you believe…Whether it’s inspiring a nation, launching a product, building a team, or mending a relationship, the right words spoken at the right time can change history.”
That said, we have chosen 14 of the most inspiring and profoundly relevant concepts that speak to the fundamentals of what it means to be human. Our goal is to have our competing artists choose a powerful word and express it as an artistic mural. As we all know language is the creative manifestation of human thought and these powerful concepts will certainly provoke, inspire, and captivate audiences for years to come!
Our chosen words & expressions:
- LOVE Matters
- LIFE Matters
- COMMUNITY Matters
- EQUALITY Matters
- PEACE Matters
- TRUTH Matters
- JUSTICE Matters
- UNITY Matters
- HOPE Matters
- RESPECT Matters
- CHARACTER Matters
- INTEGRITY Matters
- KNOWLEDGE Matters
- DIVERSITY Matters
The deadline for Artist/Team submissions is March 31, 2019 at 4PM.
PS Mural Fest will take place throughout the City of Palm Springs. Festival Curators will assign sites to the selected artists based on their proposal(s).
Open to qualified Artists and/or Artist Teams; all members of the team must be practicing-professionals and have the ability to arrange and provide their own travel to Palm Springs, CA for the installation of their mural, should he/they be selected. Artists and/or Artist teams will adhere to any/all City of Palm Springs’ requirements, including but not limited to public safety.
- This Call for Artists is for original mural proposals only.
- Artist groups are welcome to participate but will receive the same payment for their mural(s) as individual Artists.
- Artists may hire an assistant at his/her own expense.
- Local and regional-based muralists are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Commercial work or artwork created for the purpose of advertising is ineligible for consideration.
Selected participants will receive both complimentary accommodations, and an honorarium of $2,000.00.
PS Mural Fest will accept submissions beginning at 4PM Fri. Dec. 8th, 2018.
All submittals must be received no later than 4PM Sun., March 31st, 2019.
How to Submit
- Simply register and complete the application form, and have it in the hands of PS Mural Fest on or before the deadline, 4PM Sunday, March 31st, 2019.
- Chosen artists will be selected by a panel of artists and community members, and contacted on or before April 30th, 2019.
- Submission material must be completed fully and accurately, and submitted through the application form below. Hard copies, emails, and other forms of submission will be not considered.
- Please email questions to email@example.com with the subject “PSMF artist application.”
Work in any medium as previously described will be considered. The selection of the artist(s) will be based on artistic excellence, plus requisite experience in design, and original works of art. Murals that are mass-produced or are of an advertising or commercial nature are ineligible for consideration. Other considerations will be clarity of vision, proposal feasibility (does the work meet the given site specifications?), ability to execute (based on the artist’s existing body of work and experience can the commission be completed on time?), and appropriateness for the public audience.
Each mural submission will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Best Use of Color
- Audience Favorite
- Best Application of the Concept
- Technical Prowess
The judges will assign a score from 1-20 for each of the above-mentioned categories. Prizes will be awarded to the artists who score highest in the individual categories, and the artist with the highest aggregate score will be the overall winner of PS Mural Fest 2019!
Our intent is to have the winning mural, as well as the mural with the biggest ‘WOW Factor,’ remain installed until the commencement of PS Mural Fest 2020, and for the other murals to remain installed at least until the end of 2019, whereupon they will return to their original blank canvas for probable use in PS Mural Fest 2020.
Request For Proposals (RFPs) may be submitted to:
Each applicant will select 1-3 words from the above ‘WORDS MATTER’ list and express his/her interpretation of each word literally, metaphorically, or personally, and in mural format.
Artists and/or Architect Design teams must provide the following information:
- A concept sketch or sketches of the proposed mural(s).
- Artist’s Contact Information, Profile and Examples of Past Work
- Team composition (if more than just the artist) and role(s) of team
- Bio and Resume of each artist and team participant.
- Up to 10 images for review (photographs in electronic format (PDF, jpg, GIF, TIFF) of the artist’s previous work, including a written description, media/materials, dimensions, location, budget, and client or commissioning organization. If submitting via email, please use .jpeg with corresponding image list.
- Documentation must be sent as .rts (rich text format).
- Three (3) prior references for whom work has been conducted.
- Artist Statement of Interest about participating in this project.
- A brief description of the vision/description/philosophy or message behind the WORDS MATTER
- Any/all additional resources you may need in order to fully and most brilliantly realize the mural(s) from inception to completion.
- Affirmative representation that the artist owns all copyright rights without restriction or infringement on any third party rights to the artwork submitted for consideration, as well as the agreement to terms.
- March 31st, 2019 at 4PM Arrival deadline for proposal submission(s).
- April 10th, 2019: PS Mural Fest complete preview, artist qualifications and review submissions
- April 20th, 2019: Proposals are reviewed and ranked by PSMF’s Selection Committee.
- May 5th, 2019: Finalists are privately notified, and instructed not to make their selection(s) public.
- May 10th, 2019: Selected murals get approved by the City Council.
- May 19th, 2019: Announcement of the selected artists, and the commencement of contracting.
- June 1st, 2019: Pre-installation meeting with the City of Palm Springs’ staff.
- June 23rd, 2019: Completion of on-site artwork Installations.
- NOTE: The above timeline is tentative and subject to change.
Artist and Design Team Selection Criteria
- All Artist/Artist Teams must have professional liability insurance if required by the City. The artist(s) approved for installation by PSMF must secure a City of Palm Springs’ business license; however the cost of said license will be reimbursed by PSMF.
- Participating Artists and/or Artist Teams must submit (3) references for prior commissions/design projects from present and/or former clients and/or commissioning organizations.
- Finalists for the Artist/Artist Team 2019 line-up will be chosen based on the following considerations by the PSMF Selection Committee.
- Professional experience, and adequacy to meet the demands of the project.
- Artistic and design excellence, innovation and originality as evidenced by representations of past work and other supporting material. The aesthetic sensibility of the artist(s), and design professional(s), should the artist have a team, will be considered.
- The potential for the artist’s work to enhance the site’s overall design, and to complement the City’s community character.
- Availability to participate in the approval process and implementation of the project, including participation in public and/or municipal meetings to present his/her/their proposal(s), as well as artist talks and community outreach event(s).
- Ability to meet project deadlines, and to perform work in a timely and professional manner.
- Feedback provided by the 3 clients and/or commissioning organization referrals from past/present projects.
- The ability in the eyes of the PSMF Selection Committee to create artwork that will leave a lasting impression on the cosmopolitan community known as the City of Palm Springs.
Once a muralist is selected for the Festival, the artist will be compensated for submitting a detailed drawing/design (click here for more details).(FAQs) Additionally, based on the total square footage of the mural, each artist will be paid up to $2,000.00 for the successful and timely completion of each mural produced.
Currently the Festival’s Selection Committee will be choosing 20 muralists; however, additional mural locations may be added depending on both sponsorships and funding.
To apply, please carefully review, complete, and submit the application to firstname.lastname@example.org (SUBJECT: Submissions), which must be in the hands of PS Mural Fest on or before the 4PM March 31st, 2019 deadline.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Requirements and Restrictions
Each Artist (or a member from each artist group) is required to be on site and working during each day for the final celebration. Exceptions may be considered, however, said exceptions must be requested by the artist at the time of the application submission, and approved in writing by PSMF.
Liability and Insurance
PS Mural Fest will neither provide insurance nor reimburse the artist(s) for any losses or any damage including, but not limited to, materials and work, including the design, fabrication, packing, shipping, installation and breakdown phases of the artist’s project. The organizer reserves the right to use accepted work for purposes including, but not limited to, photography, documentation, Web site content, publicity, catalogue content, and retail. (Artist Opt in)(FAQs)
The receipt of any entry is understood to convey agreement by the entrant to all conditions set forth and inferred in this Call For Artists. Palm Springs Mural Festival and its partners reserve the right to reject any and all submittals and to decline to award a contract for this project.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Call for Artists
Palm Springs Mural Festival