Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area
Location: Peter Strauss Ranch (in Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area)
30000 Mulholland Highway, Agoura, CA 91301
Duration: May 12, 2017-September 15, 2018
Application Deadline: Thursday, February 22, 2018
Contact: Tori Kuykendall, [email protected]
The Arts-in-Parks program at Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is now accepting submissions for installation art for the 2018 exhibit scheduled to run May through September 2018. Peter Strauss Ranch (PSR) features terraced hillsides, a 650,000 gallon empty pool with a center stage, a large aviary, an amphitheater, terrazzo dance floor, lawns, a trail through oak woodland and chaparral and more. We ask that each artist have a public engagement component at/in their installation or in their art form at least once during the duration of the exhibit.
This enchanting oak woodland has long been a source of dreams, visions, and memories. The ranch was transformed into “Lake Enchanto,” a fairyland of charm and a paradise for children and adults. This members-only country club style resort drew hundreds of people daily and up to 5,000 people for private events from 1945-1955. Now a National Park Service site and free and open to the public, the vision of enchantment continues today with hiking, concerts, picnics and art exhibits.
Check out some photos at https://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/straussranch.htm and make sure to click on “Click here to see more photos of Peter Strauss Ranch.”
Criteria for Selection
- Artistic Merit: we are seeking site-specific, conceptually strong work.
- Appropriate: The piece created shall be appropriate and viewable by regular park visitors and their families and is non-political.
- Public Engagement: There is an opportunity for the artist to engage the public by using their art in a public performance, offering a workshop opportunity, or perhaps the public to add to your installation.
- Site Sensitivity and Stability: Installation should be well-constructed to last the duration of the show and should be carefully thought out to have no impact or damage to the natural or cultural resources of the site.
How to apply
Follow this link https://toriwkuykendall.polldaddy.com/s/psrinstallation2018 and complete the application by February 22, 2018.
Contact Tori Kuykendall with any questions at: [email protected].
Some of what is asked for is:
- Resume and/or brief bio
- Concept or theme
- Materials/technical elements
- Public engagement component idea
- Up to 5 images of your past work in similar genres.
- Up to 5 sketches of proposed installation.
- Artists must be able to fill out a W-9