Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area: Art-In-Parks Program
Location: Peter Strauss Ranch (in Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area)| 30000 Mulholland Highway, Agoura, CA 91301
Duration: May 13, 2017-October 14, 2017
Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 7th, 2017
Contact: Tori Kuykendall: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Arts-in-Parks program at Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is now accepting submissions for installation art for the 2017 exhibit, “Members Only,” scheduled to run May through September 2017. Peter Strauss Ranch features terraced hillsides, a 650,000 gallon empty pool with a center stage, a large aviary, an amphitheater, terrazzo dance floor, lawns, a trail through oak woodland and chaparral and more. We ask that each artist engage the public in their art or art form at least once during the duration of the exhibit.
This enchanting oak woodland has long been a source of dreams, visions, and memories. The ranch was transformed into “Lake Enchanto,” a fairyland of charm and a paradise for children and adults. This members-only country club style resort drew hundreds of people daily and up to 5,000 people for company picnics from 1945-1955. Now a National Park Service site and free and open to the public, the “vision of enchantment” continues today with hiking, concerts, picnics and art exhibits.
Check out some photos at https://www.nps.gov/samo/planyourvisit/straussranch.htm and make sure to find “Click here to see more photos of Peter Strauss Ranch.”
Criteria for Selection:
- Artistic Merit: we are seeking site-specific, conceptually strong work.
- Appropriate: The piece created shall be appropriate and viewable by regular park visitors and their families and is non-political.
- Public Engagement: There is an opportunity for the artist to engage the public by using their art in a public performance, offering a workshop opportunity, or perhaps the public to add to your installation.
- Site Sensitivity and Stability: Installation should be well-constructed and carefully thought-out and should not impact or damage the natural or cultural resources of the site.
Email all questions and materials listed below to the project coordinator with the subject line Installation Art Submission to Tori Kuykendall at: email@example.com by March 7, 2017.
- Resume and/or brief bio
- One-page project proposal which includes:
- Concept or theme
- Materials/technical elements
- Public engagement component idea
- Hopeful site location – first and second choices: terraced hillside, pool, aviary, amphitheater, lawn and trail.
- Up to 5 images of your past work in similar genres and ability to carry out the project.
- Up to 4 sketches of proposed installation.