Center for the Arts - Summer Arts Camp 2016
Eagle Rock, CA
Position Title: CAMP TEACHING ASSISTANT
Status: Seasonal Full-time; Monday through Friday for 8 weeks; on site at facility
Start Date: June 13, 2016
End Date: August 5, 2016
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30AM – 5:30PM
Pay Rate: $480 per week
The Camp Teaching Assistant will lead break-time activities in a creative way for the campers in our Summer Arts Camp. In addition, to leading break-time activities, TAs will assist camp Teaching Artists with daily creative projects, art classroom management and in creating a positive, focused classroom environment. Camp Teaching Assistants are tasked with documenting Summer Arts Camp projects through photography and video.
- Two years assisting elementary school aged children in a classroom environment or summer camp
- Experience assisting teaching artists in an art classroom or arts camp setting
- Innovative curriculum samples of 15 minute visual art projects that demonstrate an understanding of VAPA standards
- Familiarity with supplies and methods needed for implementing creative projects
- An ability to manage a classroom of up to 25 students
- The ability to work well with others, collaborate with diverse personalities, take direction well as well as work independently
- Exercise good judgment, professionalism, sense of humor
- Live Scan certification and TB clearance
- Reliable transportation: automobile, current drivers license, insurance
- Proven ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment and proven ability to work under only general supervision
- Experience in low-income communities
- Degree from an accredited institution
Responsibilities Prior to Camp:
- Be familiar with phone locations, first aid station, information station, etc
Responsibilities During Camp:
- Assist Teaching Artist with daily set-up, classroom management and clean-up of daily camp art projects and activities
- Ensure materials are prepared for daily projects and keep ongoing lists for teaching artists of supplies needed on an ongoing basis
- Lead daily break-time group activities
- Document art projects through photography and video
- Work collaboratively with teaching artists and teaching assistants to create a safe, welcoming environment for campers
- Provide project support, encouragement and artistic inspiration to campers
- Execute tasks as assigned by teaching artists and CFAER staff
- Engage with parents and guardians to ensure proper daily sign in and sign out procedures are followed
- Provide leadership, encouragement and artistic inspiration to campers
- Maintain a professional, neat and clean appearance at all times
- Monitor the inventory of arts and crafts supplies to assure proper allocation of supplies to all campers throughout the summer
- Ensure that all art material is properly used and cared for by all campers and report any damages or loss of equipment
- Participate in Arts Camp kick-off meeting with fellow teaching artists, Director of Education, CFAER staff, TAs
Responsibilities Post Camp:
- Fill out assessment form
About Center for the Arts Eagle Rock:
The mission of Center for the Arts Eagle Rock (CFAER) is to be innovative in providing multidisciplinary, arts-inclusive programming and arts education to the diverse communities of northeast Los Angeles and beyond.
Our arts camp for ages 6-12 explores visual art, performance, sculpture, architecture, textiles, writing, and more. Our teachers are local, contemporary artists that combine art history, play-based learning, and their own studio practices to create curriculum that gives campers the opportunity to explore artistic expression and establish community.
During the school year, Center for the Arts Eagle Rock is proud to present Afterschool Arts: Imagine Studio, a free arts enrichment program providing standards-based arts instruction in elementary and middle schools throughout Northeast Los Angeles.
Center for the Arts Eagle Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send resume, references, and brief cover letter to:
Angie Reyes, Director of Education at email@example.com.
Subject Line: Summer Arts Camp Teaching Assistant