Los Angeles, CA
LAXART is seeking an experienced, full-time Chief Preparator/Exhibitions Manager to work closely with a small staff to produce and execute all aspects of the organization’s exhibitions, events, and daily operations.
This full time, exempt position includes health benefits and paid time off. Due to the nature of the position and its demands, the Chief Preparator/Exhibitions Manager will work on-site at LAXART three days a week during normal operating hours. During de/installation periods and in preparation for special events, the Chief Preparator/Exhibitions Manager will be expected to work 5-7 days a week (as needed and prearranged with the Director). Such a schedule will average to around 1536 hours throughout the year, but as a full-time exempt position, you may be expected to work more hours as needed. Accordingly, the ideal candidate must be flexible and must demonstrate excellent communication skills.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate, oversee, and execute logistics of all exhibitions and events
- Manage and work alongside a team of PT preparators, including hiring and tracking of their hours
- Facilitate third party contractors, fabricators, and other outside services
- Coordinate and execute the packing, labeling, shipping, and local transport of art and exhibition
materials; light use of a personal vehicle may be required (with mileage compensated)
- Monitoring and maintenance of all gallery spaces
- Procuring and managing supplies for facilities, daily operations, and special projects
- Managing inventories of equipment and art
- Undergraduate degree; practicing artists encouraged to apply
- Minimum of 3 years experience art handling in a gallery or museum
- Knowledge and application of art handling best practices
- Knowledge of and experience with AV setup
- Light construction abilities and know-how
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, and calm under pressure
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to be flexible and collaborative
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize a range of responsibilities and requests
LAXART is a nonprofit visual art space that promotes developments in contemporary culture through exhibitions, publications, and public programs. We believe that contemporary art is a means of understanding key issues of our time with all their inherent contradictions. Contemporary art assumes many forms. Rather than provide answers, it raises questions. Through a range of offerings, we contextualize contemporary art both socially and art historically. Our programs are free and designed to be accessible to the general public.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible. The position will remain open until filled.