YOLA at HOLA
Los Angeles, CA
Title: YOLA at HOLA Clarinet SpecialistYouth Orchestra LA (YOLA) at Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) Teaching Faculty
Department: YOLA at HOLA
Reports to: YOLA at HOLA Director
Hours: Approximately 10 hours a week
Start Date: As soon as possible
Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) provides underserved youth with exceptional programs in academics, arts and athletics within a nurturing environment, empowering them to develop their potential, pursue their education and strengthen their communities. Our core values are: Respect, Responsibility, Positive Communication and Support.
Youth Orchestra LA (YOLA) is the Los Angeles Philharmonic's initiative, supported by a network of stakeholders, to provide access to exceptional instrumental and orchestral education in order to promote youth development. Central to YOLA is the LA Phil's plan to build youth orchestras in underserved communities throughout Los Angeles with community partners.
Position Summary: Responsible for leading clarinet sectionals for YOLA at HOLA, a joint venture of the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA). He/she/they will ensure the highest musical experience for YOLA at HOLA, create curriculum and pedagogy in collaboration with other YOLA at HOLA music faculty, and support each child holistically. He/she/they will support the HOLA philosophy and community as a part of YOLA at HOLA and help facilitate community and family involvement.
YOLA at HOLA is the second site of Gustavo Dudamel’s signature program Youth Orchestra LA, inspired by El Sistema, the Venezuelan music education system that provides a quarter million children with free musical instruments and music instruction. Over the last thirty years, Heart of Los Angeles has become a home-away-from- home for countless numbers of inner-city youth. With YOLA, this vibrant community center has become a hub of intensive and joyful music making. Each participant receives a rich music curriculum focused on cultivating a caring, cooperative, and fun community. The instruments and the program are free to all participating students as long as they uphold their contract to take care of the instrument, practice, and participate in YOLA at HOLA music programming. Participating students come from within a five-mile radius of HOLA community center, located in and around Lafayette Park, Los Angeles.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
As YOLA at HOLA faculty member, responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborating with YOLA at HOLA faculty to create a shared curriculum, pedagogy and culture inspired by the ideals of El Sistema.
- Teaching clarinet and/or combined woodwind sectionals for beginning, intermediate and advanced YOLA at HOLA clarinet/woodwind students.
- Teaching musicianship courses to new music students.
- Lesson planning for the groups and sessions that are taught.
- Team teaching with other wind and brass faculty when necessary.
- Conducting wind ensembles when needed.
- Assisting with full orchestra rehearsals; playing in the section, helping students individually, classroom management, collaborating with the YOLA Conductors.
- Assisting with concerts and special events.
- Communicating with the YOLA at HOLA director, program managers, and tutor, in order to understand each child holistically.
- Attending music pedagogy and tutoring professional development sessions.
- Preparation and communication with music teachers, YOLA Conductor, Program Director, Program Managers, LA Phil staff, parents, and the HOLA team.
- Arranging orchestra parts to suit wind (or other) instruments if needed.
- Embodying the El Sistema ideals of mentorship, team teaching and experiential learning by being a role model and mentor to those entering the classroom to learn, such as YOLA students, Masters of Arts in Teaching graduate students or volunteers.
- Representing the YOLA at HOLA program by embodying the HOLA core values, and welcoming visitors into the collaborative teaching space. Other Duties & Responsibilities: ● May perform other duties as assigned.● Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.● Ability to be a strong role model for youth and MAT students during all working hours.
- Demonstrated excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer.
- Strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music and the missions of YOLA and HOLA.
- Four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required; post-graduate degree or equivalent experience a plus.
- Experience teaching clarinet classes to children.
- Experience leading and conducting ensembles.
- Strong knowledge of clarinet repertoire, curriculum, and pedagogy.
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; experience working in underserved communities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor/role model for students, parents, graduate students, and peers as an artist, teacher, and citizen.
- Ability to work under frequent observation, collaborate with peers and to both give and receive constructive and helpful feedback when needed.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The building environment does not provide air conditioning and heat in all areas. Outdoor work is expected in some cases.
HOLA is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
**Interested and qualified candidates, please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected] **