Los Angeles, CA
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, help for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our free programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice.
826LA is looking for someone to join our hard-working, passionate team as a full-time College Access Summer Associate for the In-schools program. The Summer Associate will assist in co-leading our Personal Statement Summer Workshops in East and South LA, as well as supporting personal statement trainings and college access efforts throughout the summer. They will work out of our Echo Park and Manual Arts locations. 826LA's Personal Statement Workshops are focused on serving rising seniors, ages 16 to 18, all from LAUSD Title 1 schools. The goal of these workshops is to empower students for higher education by helping them craft compelling, self-reflective personal statements as they continue or begin the college application process in the Fall. The Summer Associate will work closely and collaborate with the Writers’ Room Coordinator and In-schools team.
College Access position responsibilities include:
● With 826LA staff, co-lead 826LA's Personal Statement Summer Workshops and implement direct service; ensuring high quality one-on-one support for historically underserved students in East and South LA.
● Facilitate quality interactions between students of various ability levels and volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels.
● Co-lead 826LA's Personal Statement Trainings to develop a strong cohort of volunteers to support personal statement programming.
● Help develop 826LA’s personal statement and scholarship materials for students pursuing various paths in higher education, including four-year institutions and community colleges.
Qualifications for the College Access position include:
● Minimum of eighteen years old;
● High school diploma or equivalent;
● Experience in classroom management or working with students, including relevant volunteer work, is preferred but not required;
● Working knowledge of the college application process;
● Strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and deep commitment to student success;
● Excellent organizational skills;
● Strong communication skills, including ease with public speaking;
● Background or ongoing experience in education preferred;
● Written and spoken Spanish-language proficiency preferred;
● Available between June 11th through August 19th.
HOW TO APPLY
826LA Summer Associate positions are hosted through the All Ways Up Foundation, and applications are accepted through the AmeriCorps website. Please indicate in your application that you are interested in applying for the College Access Summer Associate position at 826LA.
We highly encourage you to have your application into the portal by May 1.