Los Angeles, CA
About the Position:
Common Field seeks an enthusiastic, experienced individual to support the organization in the
implementation of communications strategies encompassing all aspects of Common Field’s
programmatic and Network Member needs. They lead, organize, and administer Common
Field’s communications interface - website, email, social media, marketing, press,
documentation and archives. They also manage the active network of members and provide
administrative and programmatic support. This position reports to the Executive Director.
About Common Field:
Common Field is a national network of independent visual artists’ organizations and organizers
that connects, supports, and advocates for the artist-centered field. Founded in 2013 and
launched in 2015, the Common Field network has 700+ members across 44 states. Common
Field organizes as a field in order to strengthen one another through collective action, shared
information, and mutual support. Our vision is to increase understanding, involvement and
knowledge of artists organizations and their value, and increase their capacity through national
connectivity, dialog understanding and support.
The Communication + Network Membership Manager responsibilities include but are not
• Cultivate community across all communication channels
• Website: Activate, manage and maintain Common Field’s website -the primary interface to its
expansive member network. Ensure the website is up to date and is strategically used as a
platform for effective advocacy and amplification of the network.
• Social Media: Generate original content for Common Field’s social media platforms.
Actively engage and build CF’s social media audiences. Proactively engage with Network
Members and followers.
• Email Communications: Coordinate, compose (in part) and format monthly e-newsletters from
draft to send. Archive newsletters on website. Coordinate development of members-only
newsletters with network specific information and opportunities.
• Press: Assist with PR/media relations efforts, including copy writing. Coordinate press and
media materials, contact lists and press archive. Respond to requests for information and
images and coordinate interviews for press and Common Field leadership as appropriate.
• Archives + Documentation: Organize, edit and create photo and video archives. Maintain
Vimeo channel and ensure archive is accessible on CF’s website.
•Design: Effectively utilize and implement identity system devised by Wkshps. Develop designer
in residence initiative to elevate design as a critical component of Common Field’s
• Clearly articulate what Common Field is, it’s value to the network and work to ensure that the
network, related fields and general public understands Common Field as it grows and evolves.
• Serve as a direct point of contact with Common Field’s 600+ Membership Network.
Communicate and respond in a timely and personable way to questions, concerns and inquiries
via email, phone, in-person, and social media.
• Provide technical support for members for CF’s web interface. Maintain effective FAQs and
ensure members have clear answers on how to access CF’s range of digital resources.
• Membership Renewals: Ensure a smooth transition for members when their annual
membership renews. Answer questions, provide technical support and ensure access for the
field to Common Field.
• Develop new systems to better welcome and engage with new members. Manage new
members orientation including: ensure profiles are complete, send welcome package with tools
and resources, follow social media channels, publically welcome new members, and add new
members to all of CF’s communications channels.
• Ensure members are fully utilizing the CF website, its resources and tools fully (forums,
document hub, profile, listings, etc) effectively.
• Stay knowledgeable and familiar with members projects, practices, and organizations
• Amplify and showcase members and their work through social media, website, and email
• Create clear, friendly pathways to engage and receive feedback from the network.
• Forum: Engage members to activate resources and content. Propel member forums and
• Reports: Create, update and circulate membership reports. Track member data and ensure
information is up to date and can regularly be utilized effectively for outreach, fundraising and
• Support the organizing of Member Meet-Ups
• Promote Convening programs and related projects and publications
• Maintain and archive photo and video documentation from the Convening
• Oversee development of a design identity for the Convening. Manage development of
Convening website section, Convening booklet and edit copy for convening communications.
• Develop press strategy and contract additional support as needed
• Support the Convening project and full staff team
Administration + Program Support
• Attend weekly team meeting
• Support other programs and projects as needed
• Review, edit and assemble reports, feedback, and assessments
• Develop project timelines and ensure communications deadlines are met
• Timely attendance to meetings and activities
• Manage personal to-do list and weekly check-ins
• Keep calendar and schedules up to date.
• Experience in the non-profit, alternative artist space, artist-run field / 3-5+ years
• Knowledge and familiarity with the artist organization field, organizations, research and arts
• Thoughtful and excellent written and verbal communicator
• Capacity for writing, copy editing and review
• Strong design and visual sensibility
• Computer and digital literacy and strong working skills in Google Drive, web CMS systems,
social media platforms, and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
• Significant commitment to the field
• Reliable, responsible, highly organized, detail-oriented
• Independent self-starter who is flexible, inventive and takes initiative
• Willing to do both practical coordination as well as be a participant in visioning and leadership
• This position is based in Los Angeles, CA. Common Field’s Los Angeles Office is based in
• This is a 40 hour per week, Exempt, Employee, full-time position
• Occasional travel required.
• Compensation will be negotiated commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• A benefits package will also be provided including paid time off, holidays and health insurance.
• Communications and Network Membership Manager must be able to attend the Common
• Employee must provide their own computer.
• Common Field supports ongoing employee professional development and funds these
activities whenever possible.
To apply, please email a letter of interest, resume/cv, and three personal references as a
SINGLE PDF with subject line YOUR NAME: Common Field Job Search to
[email protected] Applications received by June 22, 2018 will be given priority
consideration. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Common Field is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment
regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual
orientation, or political affiliation. We value equity and are committed to creating an inclusive
environment for all employees. Common Field values perspectives from people of diverse
cultural backgrounds and is committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We strongly
encourage applications from people of color and LGBTQ candidates.
To find out more about Common Field, visit http://commonfield.org/