Center Theatre Group
Los Angeles, CA
About The Company
We entertain. We create. We engage. We inspire. As one of the nation’s most influential nonprofit theatre companies, Center Theatre Group provides the broadest range of theatrical entertainment in the country at the Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, and Kirk Douglas Theatre. Whether it’s producing new work through our robust artistic development programs or engaging people of all ages across Los Angeles through our community and education programs, we put theatre at the center of it all.
The 180+ full- and part-time staff members who make all this possible are passionate about this place and their work. Whether it’s pre-show gatherings and Staff Nights at our theatres, meet-and-greets with cast and crew, or our annual holiday party, our staff is engaged with the art and one another. Center Theatre Group commits to creating a safe space where the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion permeate all levels and all aspects of our work. We aim to attract, nurture and retain staff in a supportive home where we can be our best selves. We celebrate our commonalities and embrace our differences in order to ensure that everyone has access to our work onstage, behind the scenes, and in the community.
The Communications Coordinator will support the Center Theatre Group Communications team in their efforts to drive engagement, retention, and awareness for the organization across multiple platforms, including show programs, e-blasts, newsletters, and social media content. They will provide general assistance, coordination, scheduling, and organization for the department, which oversees content creation, digital and social media, as well as publicity. They will be responsible for helping keep projects on track, helping generate story and content ideas, editing and proofreading internal and external content, building e-blasts, and assisting in the creation and scheduling of social media content. Strong writing/editing skills and some HTML experience required.
- Manage the Communications department editorial calendar and keep projects on schedule, liaising with staff members across the company regarding assets and timelines.
- Assist in the writing, editing, and proofreading of content for all publications (print/digital) including, but not limited to, PerformancesMagazine (the program that is distributed at all of our theatres), quarterly newsletter, Center Theatre Group's blog, e-blasts, social media posts, marketing materials, and various cross-departmental projects.
- Build and schedule e-blasts and update the Center Theatre Group blog and website with new content.
- Assist with additional copywriting, proofing, and updating copy as needed.
- Assist in the creation of compelling, highly shareable content for social media channels that enhances campaign performance, builds brand awareness, and leverages brand advocates.
- Coordinate project management software workflow.
- Additional copywriting, proofing, and updating copy as needed.
- Work as a liaison with departments across the company, including Education, Institutional Advancement, and Marketing to ensure their communications needs are being met.
- Ensure that all printed materials are accurate and clear, and adhere to Center Theatre Group style, including but not limited to letters, proposals, invitations, mailing lists, reports, etc.
- Evidence of good work habits including but not limited to being on time, following Center Theatre Group workplace policies, arriving prepared for meetings and events, being responsive and following through on all supervisor and staff requests.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Working occasional evenings and weekends to assist with Opening Night activities, potential video shoots, etc.
- Other duties as they arise. Center Theatre Group provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.
- Knowledge and Essential Skills
- Ability to write and edit concisely and convincingly.
- Experience and knowledge of marketing fundamentals.
- Outstanding interpersonal, organization, and communication skills.
- Experience with various computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint and Adobe InDesign. HTML and CMS experience also required.
- Experience with social media and best practices.
- Minimum requirements: Essential functions and abilities
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in communications, marketing, or journalism.
- Understanding of non-profit arts institutions.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Must have own transportation to attend meetings and events off site.
- Must be able to easily travel to, within and around a variety of locations, both interior and exterior for meetings, events and other job-related activities.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to work effectively in a real-time medium.
Education, Experience, and Licensing
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent preferred.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a background check.
- Center Theatre Group is not able to provide relocation assistance for this position.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified. Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
- Staff members are expected to consciously and continuously promote the mission, values, programs and impact of the organization.
The position will receive a competitive compensation.
Center Theatre Group also offers a comprehensive benefits package including retirement plan options; escalating vacation, paid sick, personal days and holidays; and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, employee assistance program, and life and long-term disability insurance.
HOW To Apply
Introduce yourself by telling us your story and why you are the ideal person for this position. Please e-mail your resume and cover letter along with salary requirements to: [email protected]. Please be sure to include the position title in the subject line of your email. Due to the high volume of submissions received, emails without all of the above information may not be considered.
In your cover letter, please indicate how you became aware of this job opportunity, e.g., name of website, current employee, other source.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. We will contact qualified candidates to set up interviews.
Center Theatre Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, color, ancestry, disability, age, national origin, pregnancy, veteran/military status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by law. Center Theatre Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We support, promote, and embrace a diverse workforce.