The Colburn School
Los Angeles, CA
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, The Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four different units: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts, the Colburn Music Academy and the Colburn Dance Academy. The Community Engagement office serves all four units with various programmatic initiatives.
The Colburn School's mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
The Communications Coordinator is the primary manager of the Colburn School’s social media channels, creating, curating, and sharing timely and interesting content with the goal of growing online audiences and engaging and maintaining current ones. Oversees the email calendar for the communications and advancement departments, ensuring the messages to various groups are coordinated, and drafts and deploys emails as needed. The Communications Coordinator also generates copy for other online and print needs, and provides general administrative support to the Communications team, ensuring the smooth day-to-day operations of the department.
- Under the direction of the assistant director of communications, helps implement the strategy for engaging and growing online communities through channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Produces timely and interesting social media content informed by the editorial calendar.
- Tracks social media engagement and audience growth through relevant analytics and refines content strategy based on conclusions drawn from the data.
- Provides timely customer service to Colburn’s online audiences by responding to comments or messages.
- Stays abreast of industry-specific conversations on social media as well as general topics of interest. Alerts Communications staff of trends, issues, and discussions
- Researches social media marketing trends and strategies and assesses how they could further the Colburn School’s social media objectives.
- Working with the Marketing Manager, deploys paid social media marketing campaigns and tracks their effectiveness.
- Helps select relevant social media channels for the school to have an institutional presence. Advises on social media accounts created for individual units of the school (Conservatory, Music Academy, Dance, and Community School).
- Coaches staff, students, and faculty on how to properly engage the public through social media.
General Communications Support
- Oversees the communications/advancement department email calendar, ensuring messages are coordinated. Manages constituent lists within MailChimp.
- Drafts and deploys emails as needed. May include event invitations, promotional emails, newsletters, or other types of communications.
- Under the direction of the Web Manager, performs website duties including copy editing, content updates, web calendar listings, and form creation/maintenance
- Writes editorial content as needed for Your Week at Colburn, and Colburn in Focus, including weekly student spotlight. Generates copy for other online and print needs.
- Assists with live streaming of Colburn events as needed
- Provides general administrative support to the Communications team, ensuring the smooth day-to-day operations of the department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- Position requires at least one year of experience in a similar position.
- Must be a naturally engaging writer with a feel for the distinct voice required for social media, and be able to adhere to house style and rules of grammar.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills overall. Ability to write for a variety of audiences and vehicles.
- Knowledge of music, dance, and the performing arts
- Understanding of social media best practices, including platforms and their respective participants (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) and how they can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Excellent organization and time management skills and ability to work in fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Excellent salary and great benefits including medical, dental, life, LTD, 403(b) retirement plan and more!
Apply online at: