Create CA seeks a full-time Communications & External Affairs Manager to develop and coordinate our communications strategy and collective impact efforts.
Create CA’s mission is to advocate for high-quality arts education for all students by providing policy expertise and mobilizing a statewide network of advocates and allied partners. Create CA is the only statewide organization that brings together all primary constituencies for arts education, including arts organizations, K-12 teachers, professional teacher associations, state and local education departments, professional development providers, parents and PTAs, and interested community members in higher education and business. Racial Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core to our organizational values and integrated into our external and internal processes. For more information, please visit www.createca.org and createca.org/racial-equity-statement
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
● Develop and implement plans for strategic communications and public will campaign that increase awareness and support of Create CA’s vision, mission, programs, services, and activities.
● Write and edit various communications, including public letters, press releases, articles, newsletters, event flyers, presentations, and reports, highlighting Create CA’s work, vision, partners, and legislative priorities.
● Develop and coordinate communications calendar including the monthly newsletter, daily social media postings, special email blasts, and regular website updates.
● Manage and maintain website backend, online merchandise store, and social media channels.
● Monitor, post, and interact with subscribers on social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tiktok, Linkedin) to build relationships and online community.
● Coordinate with contracted communications firm/s on public will campaign, brand management, messaging, graphic design, paid and earned media, and special projects.
● Consult with the Create CA program team to coordinate content creation, provide consultation on branding, liaise with contracted communications firm/s, and manage program-specific email lists.
● Evaluate the effectiveness of the overall communications strategy through online metrics, surveys, and focus group meetings.
● Build and foster relationships with collective impact partners and workgroups.
● Plan, schedule, coordinate, and help facilitate meetings.
● Assist in drafting, updating, and implementing action plans for collective impact efforts. Follow up with partners on action plan needs and progress.
● Assist in developing grant proposals for collective impact efforts.
● Assist in evaluating collective impact efforts through reports, surveys, and focus group meetings.
Experience: 3-5 years of communications and/or public relations experience required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, or a related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ideal candidate will have:
● Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
● Ability to develop impactful content for different audiences and multiple media channels.
● Understanding of the principles of communications and public relations and their role in advancing an organizational agenda.
● Collaborative approach and mindset with the ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with diverse individuals.
● General technological savvy with knowledge using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Workspace, Mailchimp, Canva, Sketch, Zoom, Adobe Illustrator and/or WordPress.
● Friendly and professional presence in telephone, virtual, and face-to-face communication.
● Ability to work independently and carry out assignments within the stated time frame.
● Honesty, integrity, curiosity, and ability to adapt to change and provide solution-oriented approaches.
Position Specifications & Benefits
● Full-time employee, non-exempt position.
● Competitive compensation commensurate to the applicant’s experience (Range of $60K - 63K).
● Benefits include Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, 401(k) plan participation and matching, as well as Sick, Vacation, and Holiday pay.
● Create CA is committed to employee professional development and supports opportunities for training and growth.
● The position requires occasional travel throughout California and to select events.
● This position is hybrid (virtual and in-person). The selected candidate must agree to reside in California.
● The position reports directly to the Policy Director.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Create CA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Create CA seeks diversity and does not discriminate based on race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.