Los Angeles, CA
TITLE: Levitt Foundation Fall Communications Intern
LOCATION: Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA
TIME COMMITMENT: Part-Time (16-24 hours/week for 10 weeks)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
INTERNSHIP DATES: 10 consecutive weeks (beginning early October)
REPORTS TO: Communications Manager
COMPENSATION: Honorarium, up to $2,000 (determined by time commitment); College credit possible, please check with your academic advisor to make arrangements
Do you love free, live music? Do you love curating and creating original content? Do you want to gain hands-on experience communicating messages to the public on behalf of a national arts foundation? If so, join Levitt’s communications team this fall!
The Communications Department shapes the branding, marketing and communications strategy for the Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation and Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles, also providing communications support for the Levitt AMP concert sites across the country, as needed.
The Fall Communications Intern will support Levitt’s internal and external communications for the national foundation—helping to build and strengthen internal processes while curating and creating original web and social media content to promote the 2019 Levitt AMP Grant Awards. This intern will also be assigned brand-building projects that tell the broader Levitt story.
- Author up to three blog posts about music, arts access, and/or creative placemaking-related stories tailored to your specific interests for the national Levitt blog, reverb
- Help create engaging brand-building content to populate the Levitt Foundation’s various social media platforms; creating custom graphics, as needed
- Track media coverage of the national Levitt network including Levitt AMP sites and permanent Levitt venues (both those in operation and development), identifying potential social media content in the process
- Help expand upon Levitt AMP voter engagement strategies, crafting promotional social media posts throughout the Levitt AMP public voting period (Nov. 1 – 20)
- Research and identify potential cross-promotional opportunities to spread the word about Levitt AMP public voting to new audiences on social media
- Update the 2018 Levitt AMP Music Series website, as needed
- Help promote, monitor and track the national #musicmoves campaign: crafting social media posts; supporting the creation of tailored eblasts; and monitoring the live #musicmoves feed through early November
- Track Levitt AMP grantee acknowledgement of the Levitt Foundation
- Help maintain the Levitt photography archive through image tagging
- Help keep the Levitt artist database up to date
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
- Must currently be enrolled in college/university as a junior or senior
- Preferably pursuing a degree in Communications, Marketing, Nonprofit/Arts Administration or a related field
- Some experience in graphic design, video editing and/or photography, a plus
- Well-versed and current in social media platforms, tools and trends
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Passion for Levitt’s mission
The Levitt Foundation realizes its mission of community through music through two main programs: permanent outdoor Levitt music venues and the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards, an annual grants competition. In 2018, nearly 500 free Levitt concerts will be presented in 26 towns and cities across America, serving more than 700,000 people.
Permanent Levitt venues are located in cities as diverse as Los Angeles; Denver, Colorado; Westport, Connecticut; Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; Memphis, Tennessee; Arlington, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. With the exception of Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles, each permanent Levitt venue is programmed, managed and supported by its own 501(c)(3) Friends of Levitt nonprofit organization, presenting 50 free concerts every year. Due to accelerating interest from cities and engaged citizens, the Levitt network is growing. Developing Levitt locations across the country include Sioux Falls (opening 2019) and Houston (opening 2021), amongst other cities.
This year, 15 small- to mid-sized towns and cities are presenting free Levitt concerts through the Levitt AMP Music Series. 2018 locations include Chattanooga, Tenn.; Sheboygan, Wis.; Utica, N.Y.; Carson City, Nev.; and Middlesboro, Ky., to name a few. Each Levitt AMP winner presents 10 free concerts in a reimagined public space, bringing together people of all ages and backgrounds.
All Levitt concerts feature acclaimed, emerging talent to seasoned, award-winning artists in a broad range of music genres. Levitt’s family-friendly vibe and open green spaces attract people of all ages and backgrounds. Friends, neighbors, as well as those whose paths might not cross otherwise, gather to relax on the lawn or dance to the music. As an example of the high caliber talent presented across the Levitt network, the 2018 GRAMMY nominees included 15 artists who have performed on Levitt stages in recent years.
Email cover letter, resume and writing sample to [email protected], including “Levitt Foundation Fall Communications Internship” in the subject line.
To learn more about the national Levitt Foundation, visit levitt.org.