Mortimer and Mimi Levitt Foundation
Los Angeles, CA
TITLE: Communications Intern
LOCATION: Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA
TIME COMMITMENT: Part-Time (1-3 days per week for 8-10 weeks)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 23, 2016 or until position is filled
START DATE: Late September – Early October
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
COMPENSATION: Honorarium; $1,000-$2,000 based on time commitment
College credit possible; check with your academic advisor to make arrangements
Do you love music? Do you love curating and creating original content? Do you want to gain hands-on experience communicating messages to the public on behalf of a national arts organization? If so, join our growing communications team this fall!
The Communications Department shapes the branding, marketing and communications strategy for the Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation, and provides communications support for the Levitt AMP concert sites across the country, as needed.
The Communications Intern will help support Levitt’s internal and external communications—helping to build and strengthen internal processes while curating and creating original web and social media content to promote the 2016 Levitt concert season and grants programs. This intern will also be assigned brand-building projects that tell the broader Levitt story.
- Publish original written content on main Levitt website:
- reverb (blog.levitt.org): Author up to three blog posts about topics ranging from music, to arts access, to creative placemaking-related stories tailored to your specific interests for national Levitt blog, reVerb
- Report on recent Levitt concerts on social media
- Track media and social media coverage of growing network of Levitt venues and concert sites across the country, including 2017 AMP grant applicants
- Assist with researching content for social media postings and organizational videos
- Provide e-communications and collateral management support
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
- Must currently be enrolled in college/university as a junior, senior or graduate student
- Preferably pursuing a degree in Communications, Marketing or Nonprofit/Arts Administration
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Well-versed and current in social media platforms, tools and trends
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Passion for Levitt’s mission
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Communications Internship” in the subject line.
The Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation is a national private foundation that exists to strengthen the social fabric of America. We empower communities to transform neglected outdoor spaces into welcoming destinations where the power of free, live music brings people together and invigorates community life.
The Levitt Foundation realizes its mission through two key programs: permanent Levitt venues and the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards, an annual grants competition. In 2016, more than 400 free Levitt concerts will be presented in 22 towns and cities across America, serving more than 600,000 people.
All Levitt concerts feature acclaimed, emerging talent to seasoned, award-winning artists in a broad range of music genres. Levitt’s family-friendly vibe and open green spaces attract people of all ages and backgrounds. Friends, neighbors, as well as those whose paths might not cross otherwise, gather to relax on the lawn or dance to the music. As an example of the high caliber talent presented across the Levitt network, the 2016 GRAMMY nominees included 21 artists who have performed on Levitt stages in recent years.
Permanent Levitt venues are located in cities as diverse as Los Angeles and Pasadena, California; Westport, Connecticut; Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; Memphis, Tennessee; and Arlington, Texas. Each permanent Levitt venue is programmed, managed and supported by its own 501(c)(3) Friends of Levitt nonprofit organization, presenting 50+ free concerts every year. Due to accelerating interest from cities and engaged citizens, the Levitt network is growing. Developing Levitt locations across the country include Denver (opening 2017), Houston (opening 2019), and Sioux Falls, S.D. (opening 2019), amongst other cities.
In 2016, the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards were awarded to 15 small to mid-sized towns and cities, including Greensboro, N.C.; Sheboygan, Wis.; North Adams, Mass.; Asbury Park, N.J.; and Middlesboro, Ky., to name a few. Each Levitt AMP winner presents 10 free concerts in a reimagined public space beginning this past spring and continuing through the fall.
Visit http://levitt.org to learn more.