Autry Museum of the American West
Los Angeles, CA
The Autry is dedicated to exploring and sharing the stories, experiences, and perceptions of the diverse peoples of the American West. Through the work of its dynamic staff, the Autry promotes education, research, exhibitions, and public programs. Located in scenic Griffith Park, the Autry provides a collaborative work environment for its employees and attracts highly qualified and motivated professionals.
Through a grant provided by the Getty Foundation, we are able to offer this paid summer internship opportunity. The internship is intended for members of groups underrepresented in professions related to museums and the visual arts including but not limited to individuals of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, and Pacific Islander descent. Intern candidates can be from all areas of undergraduate study and are not required to have demonstrated a previous commitment to the visual arts.
Eligibility for the internship is limited. Students must:
- Be currently enrolled undergraduates. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 2018. Students graduating in May or June 2018 are also eligible. (Students who are enrolled in a second BA or BS program are not eligible.)
- Reside or attend college in Los Angeles County; and
- Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
The full time internship last 10 consecutive weeks from June 2018 to August 2018, exact start and end dates to be mutually agreed upon.
Communications and Marketing Internship Details
The Communications and Marketing Intern will practice and develop skills in the areas of media relations, community outreach, social media, publications, and web communications. The intern will also learn about the working of museums and the Autry through these activities and through interaction with the visiting public and Autry staff, including membership, visitor services, and public programs departments.
The Communications and Marketing intern will help publicize upcoming exhibitions, public programs, and educational initiatives. In particular, the intern will have the opportunity to help with the development and advance communications for Investigating Griffith Park. The creation of this exhibition is largely community based and will involve a lot of cross-departmental collaborations. Intern will also help with promotion of On Fire: Recent Work by Michael Scott as well as work with other interns in creating ideas to promote and celebrate the Autry’s upcoming 30th birthday.
Duties will include:
- Fact-checking and distributing promotional materials, including information for online event calendars and onsite communications.
- Participating in staff planning meetings to help determine communications objectives and advertising/marketing/promotional campaigns.
- Helping to execute grassroots outreach to schools, cultural institutions, community organizations, online communities, and other local and national audiences in order to stimulate attendance and diversify audiences at Autry exhibitions and programs.
- Proofreading Autry publications, such as bimonthly calendars, postcards, and informational brochures.
- Assisting with supervision of film crews during on-site filming
- Researching, maintaining, and updating press clippings and press and community outreach lists.
- Providing support for the public programs and visitor services teams for festivals, outdoor film screenings, and other special events.
The intern will be trained and mentored by Keisha Raines, Communications Manager. The intern will be given ample time to tour the permanent and temporary exhibitions to better understand their content and to become oriented to the fast-paced nature of arts marketing and communications. While the focus of the intern's work will be in the promotion of the current and upcoming exhibitions, the intern will be trained and encouraged to participate in the team's busy, day-to-day activities that support all of the Autry’s exhibitions and programming.
The intern will be provided a desk, telephone, and computer with internet access in close proximity to communications and visitor experience staff members. The intern will be in regular contact with all department staff on a daily basis.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and to apply: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=25f831a3-d0db-4f0c-9ab5-1d0983fbd8f3