Invertigo Dance Theatre
Culver City, CA
Community Programs Advocate
Part-time, Hourly, 15-20 hours/week
Invertigo Dance Theatre is looking for the next member of our team! The Community Programs Advocate will be an integral part of sharing the benefits of dance with thousands of people each year, reach new audiences, and maintain a solid base of community support. Successful candidates will be passionate about Invertigo’s mission to create community and connections through dance theatre and will be excited to share the benefits of dance with people of all ages and abilities.
Summary: Lead program manager and public engagement enthusiast for Invertigo’s community programs, including Dancing Through Parkinson’s and the Invert/ED education program.
The Community Programs Advocate should have solid program management experience. For example: communicating effectively via phone and email with a variety of people and partners, creating invoices and budgets, working with teaching artists, scheduling, program evaluation, and tracking participation/attendance. The ability to speak and write in Spanish is highly desired.
Experience as a dance teaching artist is welcome, but not required. There may be opportunities for trained and qualified teaching artists to teach classes, but the primary focus of this position is program management.
We are looking for someone that thrives in a collaborative environment and is also self-motivated and able to work independently. Personal time management, attention to detail, and being able to handle multiple projects will contribute to success in this role. Excellent communication skills will be essential: active listening, asking pertinent questions, providing helpful feedback and updates, checking email regularly, and writing clearly.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Taking a leadership role in the Dancing Through Parkinson’s (DTP) and Invert/ED youth education programs, including acting as a representative of the programs, and actively seeking and pursuing growth opportunities.
- Acting as the point person for DTP and Invert/ED teaching artists, coordinators at partner organizations, school administrators, classroom teachers, and other program partners.
- Ensuring that all paperwork for community engagements is completed before activities begin. This will include working with the Executive Director and Operations Manager on budgets, contracts, invoices, insurance, and employment documents.
- Maintaining regular and clear communication with the Artistic and Executive Directors to ensure that program activities align with Invertigo’s mission and strategic plan, as well as artistic and budgetary goals.
- Maintaining the participant roster and attendance tracking system, and ensuring that contact information and demographics for participants is up to date.
- Conducting program evaluation activities to improve services to the community.
- Assisting fundraising efforts related to community programs, which may include writing, reporting, and attending special events or meetings.
- Working with the Development & Marketing Manager to promote the programs through email, social media, printed materials, and word of mouth.
- Checking and responding to email at least once every three days, and collaborating with co-workers on shared Google docs and calendars.
This person will work with a wide range of people, which will include teaching artists, administrative staff, interns, volunteers, and board members. As a member of a highly-collaborative, small, and ambitious organization, other duties and responsibilities will arise. Everyone on our staff has changed the ink in the printer or taken out the recycling from time to time.
Our goal is to find a great person that wants to grow with the organization, through a love of learning, strengthening their skills, and taking on greater responsibilities over time.
TIMES AND PLACES
Invertigo is based in Culver City, and the Community Programs Advocate will have regular weekly hours in the office. Invertigo has regular community engagement programming across the LA region, as well as an increasing amount of programming outside of the LA area. As such, the Community Programs Advocate will regularly travel to various locations throughout LA County and must have reliable methods of transportation. The Community Programs Advocate may be asked to help with Invertigo’s performance or fundraising events on weekends and/or evenings, several times per year, in addition to regular weekly hours.
Invertigo’s mission is to create connections and community through dance theatre programming that is compelling, fun, thought-provoking and accessible. For more information about Invertigo, please visit our website,www.invertigodance.org, and find us on social @invertigodance.
Invertigo is committed to treating all employees and artists with respect. Accessibility and inclusion are central to our mission and we strive to live these values on a daily basis in our interactions with staff, artists, donors, audiences and community partners. We have ambitious goals, we work hard, and we value the efforts of others.
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like the kind of job you’d look forward to, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your letter, tell us about your experience doing work similar to the roles described above. Please send any referrals and questions to this address, as well. Thanks for your interest!