Torrance Dance & Drill
The City of Torrance Community Services Department is is seeking a motivated Community Services Leader III to direct and supervise the Torrance Dance & Drill team.
Torrance Dance & Drill focuses on teamwork, various dance styles, drill, marching techniques, and performance skills. The CSL III (Dance & Drill Director) is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing established programs, classes, and special events, as well as create and teach dance and drill choreography.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The following duties represent the principal job duties; however, they are not all inclusive.
- Creates and teaches dance and drill choreography;
- Creates and organizes winter and spring shows;
- Plans, organizes, and directs established programs, classes, and special events;
- Conducts demonstrations/presentations to parents and community groups;
- Attends monthly Booster Board meetings and works closely with community groups providing program updates/reports;
- Works with Supervisor to prepare artwork including layouts for posters, flyers, and invitations;
- Provides customer service to public and parents;
- Chooses costumes and props;
- Selects and applies to competitions for the team to participate in;
- Travels to and directs all-day competitions;
- Maintains open communication with all parents, board members, and supervisors;
- Organizes full-team and competition-team award ceremonies and pictures;
- Works with supervisor to create monthly calendars;
- Other duties as required.
Hours: This is a recurrent, part-time, non-civil service, as needed position. Hours are program based, approximately 18-20 hours per week. This position will be expected to be available to work evenings and weekends.
Graduation from High School or equivalent and one year of recent part-time work experience directly related to recreation or community programs and services.
In addition to the minimum qualifications, the ideal candidate will possess:
- Two (2) years of experience planning, organizing, and directing dance and drill classes, programs, and events;
- An Associate's degree in a related field;
- Certification in Red Cross or American Heart Association Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR);
- Experience in choreographing and teaching dance and drill routines for competitions and shows;
- Experience in the planning and implementation of dance and drill programming and administration;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Customer service skills;
- Experience with Social Media;
- Budget management experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants must submit an online application and supplemental application available at www.TorranceCA.Gov/Jobs. Application submissions will be accepted until Monday, August 27, 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
Applicants with disabilities who require special testing arrangements must contact Human Resources. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (310) 618-2915 no later than five (5) business days before the test date.
As a condition of employment, candidates must pass a background check and a pre-employment medical examination.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract, and any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.