The Colburn School
Los Angeles, CA
The Colburn School is a world-class performing arts school where a renowned faculty provides instruction in music, dance and drama to dedicated students of all ages.
Since 1950, the school has equipped students with the skills, support and opportunity needed to achieve their highest artistic goals. The school's state-of-the-art campus is located in the “heart-of-art” of downtown Los Angeles, neighboring Walt Disney Concert Hall, the Music Center, the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) and the Broad Museum.
Summary of Position
The Coordinator is responsible for providing library support across the units of the institution, including the Conservatory, Music Academy, and CSPA; and functions as the coordinator for the Conservatory and Music Academy ensembles, including Academy Virtuosi, Conservatory and Music Academy chamber music.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The coordinator functions as the primary librarian for CSPA CCO, CYO, concert band and wind ensemble, and is responsible for preparing performance materials for all rehearsals and performances. Additional responsibilities include cataloging and maintaining the library collection, communicating with the ensemble director about repertoire and acquisition needs, and assisting with auditions as needed.
- As administrative assistant to the Academy Virtuosi ensemble, the Coordinator is responsible for part acquisition and preparation of music performed by Academy Virtuosi, maintaining personnel lists for ensemble, as well as taking attendance at Virtuosi rehearsals and performances.
- The Coordinator is responsible for the administrative functions associated with the operation of the Conservatory and Music Academy chamber music programs, in conjunction with the Director of Chamber Music. Responsibilities include coordinating performance and rehearsal/coaching logistics, collaborating with the main library to provide and prepare performance materials, and maintaining regular communication with conservatory faculty, students, and Colburn staff. Additional responsibilities may include creating Chamber Forum concert programs, and coordinating with outside performers such as the LA Young Artists Program.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Relevant work experience in a performance library or office as ensemble manager (or other arts administration) preferred, but not required
- Degree in music, or equivalent, and substantial orchestral and chamber music performance experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of music history, theory, orchestration, orchestral and chamber music repertoire, and performance practice traditions. Some knowledge of music publishing, licensing and current copyright law would be welcomed.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (verbal and written)
- Bibliographic/musical knowledge of European languages
Familiarity with office software (Microsoft Office suite) including word processing, spreadsheet, database, and Internet applications. Knowledge of music notation and/or orchestra management software (Finale, OPAS) would be welcomed.
Other skills, abilities and requirements
- Strong organizational skills, with great attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently on multi-faceted projects
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and maintain professional relationships with all school constituencies
- Ability to lift 40-50 pounds comfortably and adjust piano placement in rehearsal and performance spaces