Gander and White
We currently have a vacancy for a skilled crate shop supervisor/builder to work at our Los Angeles Facility. Prior experience in crating of artwork, 3D works, antiques and high-end furniture a must.
The primary responsibility of the Crate Shop Supervisor is to supervise and manage a team of crate builders and packers with the proper handling, packing, crating of art objects, fragile and artistic material, antique and high-end furniture using the appropriate methods. The Crate Shop Supervisor will prepare shipments by producing cut sheets, packing, crating and proper loading of each piece as necessary to ensure safe transport to the destination while following company policies and best practices. This position reports directly to the Operations Manager.
- Supervisor and Manage a crew of 2/3 crate builders.
- Measure finished art works and fabricate crates in the appropriate manner for shipment.
- Proper use of woodworking equipment, hand and power tools involved in fabricating custom crates for shipping.
- Conduct site visits, onsite surveying for different projects.
- Pack, band, brace, cover, and weigh crates as required.
- Handle, pack, crate and load artwork, objects and antiques in accordance with Gander & White standards and practices.
- Maintain shop and supplies.
- Work closely with Operations Department and Account Holders, to ensure jobs are scheduled, packed and crated on time and jobs are completed as per the instructions.
- Accurately complete paperwork and ensure that each item, package, crate and items are labeled accurately and appropriately.
- Generate accurate and descriptive condition reports and photo documentation when necessary.
- Help to train new team members.
- Communicate concerns, issues and/or problems with condition reports (condition of items), packing/crating orders, schedules, deadlines, etc. with management and account holders.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Maintain confidentiality of clients’ personal property and privacy
- 4+ years’ experience working as an Art handler/Crater in a gallery, museum or shipping company environment.
- Ability to efficiently wrap/pack sensitive and valuable artworks and high-end furniture.
- Team Player and ability to work well in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of and experience with a variety of gallery and museum crating and packing techniques.
- Knowledge and experience with art installation techniques.
- Capacity to work comfortably in a crate shop as well as in a customer focused environment (gallery/museum/corporate office/private residence).
- Above average strength & coordination - capacity to work comfortably on ladders & scaffolding.
- Creativity, flexibility as well as problem solving skills and strong work ethic.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
*Competitive hourly wage with health benefits*
For immediate consideration, please submit a resume along and references to. We will only consider applicants who possess the minimum qualifications specified above.