Skirball Cultural Center
Los Angeles, CA
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks an audience-minded, detail-oriented, multi-tasking team member with superior research, writing, and communications skills for the position of Curator in the Museum. Guided by the Skirball’s mission and inclusive perspective, the Curator will develop a dynamic range of exhibitions, create original content, and support the efforts of the entire Museum.
The Curator will lead project teams, collaborating with other curators as well as Education, Registration, Design and Production, Programs, and Marketing to ensure that projects meet the highest professional standards while fostering the Museum’s values of relevance, innovation, and broad audience engagement. The Curator will also work with the Advancement Department to identify and cultivate resources necessary to fund exhibitions, programs, and publications.
The Curator reports to the Museum Director. This is a full-time position with benefits.
- Identify and develop exhibitions, including original exhibition concepts and preparation of exhibition proposals aligned with the Skirball’s mission and goals.
- Lead interdepartmental exhibition project teams through each phase of development for both original exhibitions and traveling exhibitions.
- Prepare budgets and grants; meet curatorial deadlines and objectives essential to on-time and on-budget exhibitions.
- Research exhibition topics and define content in accord with exhibition objectives, including writing and editing of exhibition didactics.
- Maintain constructive and collegial relationships across Museum departments and the larger Skirball administration.
- Support exhibition programs and publicity
- Foster productive relationships with local and national institutions and cultural and community organizations.
- Advanced degree in relevant humanities discipline(s); Ph.D. preferred.
- Five years or more experience as a curator in a museum setting.
- Demonstrated record of conceptualizing, researching, and planning exhibitions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and attention to detail, deadlines, and follow-through.
- A keen appreciation and understanding of the Skirball Cultural Center mission and philosophy.
About the Skirball
The Skirball Cultural Center is a place of meeting guided by the Jewish tradition of welcoming the stranger and inspired by the American democratic ideals of freedom and equality. We welcome people of all communities and generations to participate in cultural experiences that celebrate discovery and hope, foster human connections, and call upon us to help build a more just society. The Skirball Cultural Center achieves its mission through educational programs that explore the literary, visual, and performing arts from around the world; through the display and interpretation of its permanent Museum collections and changing exhibitions; through an interactive family destination inspired by the Noah’s Ark story; and through outreach to the community.
Please send resume and cover letter by e-mail, FAX, or mail to:
Human Resources, Curator position
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX: (310) 440-4595