The incumbent will assist in all aspects of public programming and outreach. Duties include assisting with the creation and running of public programs; developing materials for school tours and new outreach initiatives; helping schedule, plan, and lead K-12 and public tours of the museum; researching the AMAM collection; developing and managing content for the museum’s social media platforms; working with the museum’s communications manager to produce and place select program content with local and campus media outlets; assisting with tours and programs at a historic Frank Lloyd Wright-designed house; light clerical work; and other duties as assigned.
The Education Department at the Allen Memorial Art Museum (AMAM) at Oberlin College seeks a recent Oberlin College graduate (class of 2014 or later) with extensive background in art history to fill the position of Curatorial Assistant. This is a non-continuing, full-time, 12-month Administrative and Professional Staff position beginning July 1, 2019 and reporting to the Eric & Jane Nord Family Curator of Education. This position has the possibility of renewal for up to one additional year.
● bachelor’s degree with a major in art history or the successful completion of at least five art history classes at the college level
● knowledge and practice of theories in gallery teaching and/or having taken the Oberlin College Practicum in Museum Education Winter Term course
● detail-oriented and highly organized
● punctual and reliable
● ability to follow written and oral instructions
● motivated and capable of working independently
● excellent communication skills
● strong public speaking skills and enjoyment of working with the public
● strong research and writing skills
● computer proficiency with experience in social media
● experience working with K-12 audiences
● ability to work some evenings and weekends and to lift 20-30 lbs
Prior museum or gallery experience is preferred.
Within the range established for this position, salary will be commensurate with education and experience. An excellent benefits package is included.
Applications will be accepted through Monday, April 8, 2019.
To apply, please submit the following documents:
1. Cover letter
3. List of 3 professional references, including; name, title, address, email and phone number.
4. Undergraduate transcript with GPA
5. Required Documents – Additional References document, please upload one page with the following information: a) list of relevant coursework; b) name of OC advisor; and c) please indicate as to whether you took the AMAM Practicum in Museum Education and if so, what year.
More information here: http://jobs.oberlin.edu/postings/7514
Do you like this post?