California African American Museum
Los Angeles, CA
The California African American Museum seeks a graduate student for a Curatorial Research Assistant, Caribbean Art position beginning November 2016 through October 2017. Chartered by the State of California in 1977, the California African American Museum began formal operations in 1981 and opened its doors to the public in its current location in 1984. The California African American Museum mission is to research, collect, preserve, and interpret for public enrichment the history, art and culture of African Americans with an emphasis on California and the western United States.
The Curatorial Research Assistant will work directly with CAAM's curatorial team and have the opportunity to conduct in-depth research for artists in the collection, exhibition program and commissioned projects. The Curatorial Research Assistant will also have the opportunity to conduct research on various artists involved with public programs. He/she will mainly be preparing research for exhibition on Caribbean and Latin American art, so experience in those areas is a plus.
- Prepare scholarly research on artists and maintain records and files
- Assist with outreach to artists, scholars, and writers associated with the exhibition, programs, and publications
- Assist with curatorial functions involving the department’s digital and physical archive
- Conduct weekly visits to local libraries and assist with related inquiries from the public and scholars
- Assist with bibliographic and biographical research related to CAAM’s forthcoming exhibitions
Qualifications and Requirements:
- CAAM will consider applicants enrolled in a graduate-level art history or similar program, preferably with a strong interest in contemporary art
- Must demonstrate exceptional research and writing skills as well as excellent verbal communication skills
This is a part-time, paid position that requires and a minimum of two days per week, from 9 am to 5 pm. The position is based in CAAM’s office in Los Angeles. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send resume with cover letter to [email protected], or mail it to California African American Museum, 600 State Drive, Los Angeles, California 90037.